SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sis33

Water heating - would appreciate opinions or experience

sis33
6 years ago

We have to decide how we are going to heat the water in the home we are soon to build. In our current home we installed a propane gas instant hot water heater on the exterior of each of the two sides of the house. This has worked perfectly for us. However for the new house we are hoping that we won't have to install a new propane supply, for cost but mostly for indoor air quality reasons. I have eliminated a gas fireplace and gas cooktop from the design but now need to consider how to heat the water.

We live in Florida. The kitchen and laundry will be in one first floor'wing', the master bath in the other 'wing' and the powder room in the middle of the house with 2 guest baths roughly above it. We have frequent guests staying with us and showers tend to be taken all at the same time (say after swimming or before going out for dinner).

Would we be disappointed in the performance of electric instant hot water heaters compared with our current gas ones? Would it make sense to install 3 water heaters, 1 for the kitchen wing, 1 for the master bath and 1 for the guest rooms and powder room? How would the cost of the upgraded electrical supply to accommodate them compare to the cost of installing a new propane service with underground tank and all the piping?

If we opted for a traditional water heater would the tank be sufficient to provide 3 to 4 showers/baths running at the same time, for a total of 6 to 8 showers/baths? Our current instant water heaters have never failed to supply endless hot water however many people are showering/bathing at one time or however long the showers being taken. Would a traditional hot water heater be economical, given that most of the time there are only the two of us? I also had hoped to avoid the added heat given off by the tank (hot climate) and the loss of space.

Is there a better option?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts or advice.

Comments (28)