SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Plant now or fall?

hairmetal4ever
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

As most of you have seen, I have a nursery where I am growing my own tree seedlings. I have found permanent homes for 3 of them in my yard. They’re in fabric root pruning pots (smart pots or imitations).

I’m trying to decide between planting now, and being meticulous about watering, but giving them extra establishment time before next spring, or planting sometime in November near or after leaf drop, when I won’t have to water nearly as much.

Our winters are usually mild enough that the ground doesn’t freeze more than a couple inches deep, and only sporadically, although in 2013/2014 and 2014/2015, the ground did freeze quite a ways down. Far enough that I couldn’t dig.

The smart pots reduce root issues enough that I won't have to cut many if any roots at transplanting time.

The three trees are a redbud and two different oaks – a Q. michauxii, and a Q. x bebbiana. I may also plant a Nyssa sylvatica but have to cut down a scraggly, ugly Yew first.

The trees are all second-season from seed and in 5-gallon pots, all three around ~4-5' tall and maybe ~3/4" caliper.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living