SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59

New House, Need Lighting Advice, Point Me In The Right Direction

homechef59
6 years ago

THESE ARE NOT MY FURNISHINGS.

We've bought a new, to us, house. I'm going to post a few pictures from the real estate listing to show you the house. My furniture is very formal with lots of Chippendale, Hepplewhite and Sheraton styles. We have always lived and renovated old, historic homes.

This house is a reproduction Southern Colonial with farmhouse influences on acreage built in 2008. It is filled with reclaimed antique brick, shiplap walls and heart pine floors. It has 12ft ceilings on both stories, 8ft interior doors and lots of porches.

We have spent the last few months and a lot of money repairing the neglected, but very necessary systems of the house. I'm getting to the point where I can pay attention to the decorating. My furniture is very formal and looks great in the house. We have always lived and renovated old, historic homes.

My problem is the lighting. There are very few interior lighting fixtures. Many of the rooms have ceiling fans or recessed can lights. I'll keep those. The front foyer has a lantern that has an iron finish. I like the fixture, but I'm not sure it's in the right for the area. The dining room has a very cheap industrial type wagon wheel with clear filament Edison bulbs. It's got to go. There are some wall sconces and ceiling lights that have the industrial style ceramic single bulb fixtures. The type they put in the basement. These have the Edison style bulbs. It's a stop gap solution that has outlived it's time.

I want to select wall sconces for the stairwell in the foyer, a new dining room chandelier and a series of flush mount and pendant lights for a downstairs hallway. The house has antique bronze hardware throughout these rooms. I'll do this a fixture or two at a time.

What style will work? I've already eliminated industrial. Do I do Victorian or Colonial Revival? I actually like some of the more modern styles, too. What kinds of finishes will work? Can I mix finishes successfully? Can I use something besides the antique bronze? I like shiny brass, antique brass, polished nickel and crystal. Are these right for this house? I would be interested in some thoughts on the subject of both style and potential finishes.

Here is the house:

This is the entry foyer. You can see the foyer lantern and the dining room chandelier behind it. The stairwell has three places for sconces.

This is another view of the foyer. You can see one of the fixtures in the brick passageway and another on the wall of the staircase.

This is the kitchen, living area, dining room and foyer.

You can see how each room relates to the other. This is what it overwhelming me.

Give me some ideas. Thanks.

Comments (2)