SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: our dog's death

Our much-loved dog Bolt got sick on Sunday, acting very listless, not eating or drinking, but with no other obvious symptoms. I tried to call the vet that day, but was unable to reach him: apparently there was some trouble with his phone, as I tried both with our land line and cell phone. The next day, Monday, Bolt showing no signs of improvement, I took him in in the afternoon during ambulatory hours to the vet, who found he had a high fever, gave him a shot of antibiotic and me a prescription for further antibiotic and sent us home, with a request to call him today (yesterday was a holiday) if the dog showed no sign of improvement. We found Bolt dead the following morning.

I am feeling quite bad about all this. Apart from the grief at a beloved pet's death, and at a fairly young age, Bolt being only eight years old, I don't know if I should have or could have acted differently. I am not an intensive pet owner: I make sure the cats and dogs get their vaccinations and have (cheap) food and water; I take them to the vet if they act sick or get injured; I treat them for pests like worms and ticks. I let them run around freely outside, knowing there's a risk in them doing so, but believing that their happiness and health in such freedom makes the risk worth it.

The problem here is that I'm shocked to lose an animal to illness, and wonder if there were signs I didn't notice that I should have acted differently. Or, am I reacting illogically out of grief and a sense of responsibility? I would appreciate feedback.

P.S. I should add, that Bolt had a chronic untreated condition that had gone on for a year or two, that caused him a racking cough. It was untreated because the vet didn't know what it was--not heartworms, which he tested him for twice--I took him on two visits at different times to be looked at. I didn't pursue the problem further because the cough itself aside, Bolt looked quite happy and energetic, easily accompanying me on walks of several hours in which he ranged far and wide. I wonder now if the condition didn't compromise our dog's health, and if I shouldn't have taken him to another veterinarian for further investigation.

Comments (48)

• User
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry Melissa to hear this sad news... I do wonder also what could have caused it... over here we have something called Alabama Rot which has arrived recently, and is a little worrying as it has occurred not far from where we live, but most dogs are not going to get it, so one shouldn't get too alarmed, but nevertheless, it's out there... it kills dogs rather quickly if untreated, and starts with a lesion on the body...

Let's hope he didn't suffer too much, it sounds as though he passed in his sleep... and that you can come to terms with the loss... we have our gardens to keep us going during the most difficult times..

• Rosefolly
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Melissa, I am so sorry. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet.

I hope you do not berate yourself. You did all of the responsible pet owner things you needed to do on an ongoing basis. As soon as you were aware of a problem you started trying to contact the vet, and you escalated it when that did not work. I do think it is your grief that is making you question yourself. We can only do our best.

As for outdoor freedom, pets who live in cities and towns cannot be permitted to roam out of doors, but I have seen where you live, and it is cat-and-dog paradise. I'm sure Bolt would have told you so, if he could have.

• Related Discussions

OT: births and deaths

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm sorry about your MIL but congrats on the impending birth of your grandson. My mom always freaks when someone in the family has a child because she says that for each new addition to our family we'll lose someone within a short time. The weird thing is that has happened with all the grandchildren.
    ...See More

OT- Have you ever adopted a dog?

Q

Comments (87)
    Nice stories, great doggies and kitties, too. We lost our beautiful chow mix, Toby on February 16 (he was 14 years and 7 months old), almost 2 years after losing his dear, sweet litter mate brother, Tibby (he was 12 years and eight months old) We've been heartbroken, sad and both of us are just mopin' around this too empty house. We got Tibby and Toby when they were just 10 days old... we bottle fed them, round the clock, their eyes were still closed and we instantly fell in love with them. It's still hard for me to believe they are gone. We had both of them cremated and they are in beautiful wood boxes with a great picture of them sitting on one and their tiny little first collars with heart shaped name tags, sitting on the other. We knew we would want to save two more litter mates and give them a wonderful life. We found the 2 new pups at a rescue in Mississippi... we are in Boston.... lots of phone calls, lots of pleas for transport help and finally everything came together. They are now, at this very moment, on a flight from Mississippi. They will get here, in Boston, at 7:30 tonight. They got a bath this morning and I'm told they are very, very excited to meet their new Momma and daddy! The rescue was wonderful to work with... not all of them are, most are. This is a pic of our Toby.. I wish I had one for Tibby. Not on this computer. You can see how old he looks, but he was still happy. These pictures were taken in December on the same day. And these are the new babies.. they are 8 weeks old, born on my dearly missed mom's birthday. I'm sure she had a hand in this. My mom's middle name was Bridget... she loved it. But everyone of her kids did not! Not 1 girl grandchild was given the name of Bridget! I don't have any kids.. but I, too, told her ixnay on Bridget if I did! tee hee. Funny how now I think it's such a lovely name. sigh. Her maiden name was Flanagan, so I decided to give her 2 grandkids bearing her name! She would have been thrilled. I'm sure she is! She helped us with the bottle feedings of Tibby & Toby.. she proudly told anyone who would listen, that they were her newest grandkids! We might name Bridget, McBridget...my last name, my Dh (dear honey of 30 years) last name both begin with MC. Still thinkin' on that, though. Bridget is the adorable black girl and Flanagan is the adorable cream colored boy. They weigh 9.6 pounds for Bridget and 9.5 pounds for Flanagan. Sorry these pics are so large. I'm very happy for the Op! Silly
    ...See More

OT: For boxerpups or other dog owners....

Q

Comments (51)
    I have two dogs and generally they eat within 3 feet of each other, sometimes sharing, sometimes not. Each has their own bowl and their own place...at least to start. After a little bit, they usually end up checking out each others bowl. The female came to us with mild food aggression, but we trained her to wait for her food for her food and stood between her and my other dog while they ate. Food is no issue now, except when the cat is eating...it is fun to make the dogs sit and see the yearning in their eyes while she takes her time. When she leaves the bowl it is a dash to see what gift she may have left. Here are my pups, Chewie and Savvy: and the cat (we call her Angel-Devil) p.s. as far as the feeding station on the island, I look at it (it's really pretty) and wonder how messy it would look after about a week in my house. My dogs are actually pretty neat eaters, but around the water bowl is messy--they drip alot!
    ...See More

Dog's accidental death.....it can happen to anyone

Q

Comments (8)
    Cynic I hear you. Agree with you for the most part. A well balanced canine diet is primarily dog food. A lot of science goes into finding good formulas for healthy pets. But giving dogs things like carrots, apples and green beans and many other people foods are fine are as long as they are just a wee percentage of the dog's diet. Lean meat, plain yogurt, cottage cheese and low sodium veggies are fine. Pizza, fat off your steak, the skin off your chicken and seasoned items are not. What I see is many people subbing people food for dog food. Dogs cannot survive on chicken and rice alone. Well they might survive but their health won't be optimal. When a dog is fed a high meat diet along with fat what often results is pancreatitis. Dogs need a balanced diet and the way to get that is to use a good grade commercial food and stick with it. Also the labeling on dog food calls for far too much per pound of dog. Dogs should be hungry when they come to the bowl. If they are picky they are not hungry or they are ill. Feeding people food other than as a little treat or supplement is counterproductive. Now let the flaming begin by those who cook for "Muffy" or like to feed her what they eat. Sigh
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

It is indeed hard to lose a beloved pet. You have my heartiest sympathy, Melissa. It sounds to me like you did everything you could. I think it's not strange that you feel bad and worried that you might have done something wrong; I still question myself at times if I really acted for the best for my beloved cats,and they both died years and years ago. The fact is that animals aren't humans; it's maybe even harder to "know what's best" for them than it is for our fellow humans! I fully agree that if it's at all possible pets should be allowed to go outside; to me it seems horribly cruel to keep them exclusively indoors, like a "gilded cage" kind of thing, though obviously if one lives in a big city one simply can't let them run around outside.Maybe the chronic cough had something to do with your dog's death,but you wouldn't have made the poor critter very happy dragging him around from vet to vet hoping for a diagnosis. And let's face it : the awful weather that we've been having can't have helped matters. Extreme heat is very hard on people with chronic conditions; I dare say this goes for dogs, too.

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Melissa, many on this forum are dog lovers and are deeply sorry with you to hear your dear dog is gone. You gave Bolt a happy nature filled life of adventure and loved him, lucky dog. I often look at our 12 year old boy and pray he will not suffer long but stay happy as possible til the end. Do you know the old hymn " This Is My Father's World " Much in life and death is a mystery.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    6 years ago

Melissa, I am so sorry. I think anyone who has lost a much loved pet has stood where you're standing right now. You did what you knew to do. It is heartbreaking that it didn't have a different outcome. Hugs to you and sympathy to you and your family.

• boncrow66
    6 years ago

Melissa I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Bolt. It seems to me you did everything you could to take care of him when he got sick and you provided him with a wonderful life. It's always hard on us when our pets pass and it's only natural to second guess if we could have done something differently to prevent it. I have lost two dogs the last few years that were a part of our family for 15 and 13 years and it comforts me to know that they had the best life I could provide for them and that now they are both somewhere where they are healthy and happy, I like to believe they went over the Rainbow Bridge and are with other dogs and having a great time. I understand your grief but know that it will get better with time. Virtual hug from Texas!!!

• User
    6 years ago

Melissa, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Bolt. It sounds to me like you were a good and loving caretaker, and that you gave him a wonderful and joyful life! You made all your decisions for his best interest - and just as you would not judge someone else who made the best decisions that they could for their animal, so I hope you can try to not judge yourself! You know, when our beloved animal friends die sooner than we expected, its always easy to blame ourselves and to feel we are at fault. But I think this is part of the illusion that if only we do everything right, we can somehow protect our loved ones, be they animal or human, from everything - and of course, we can't, which is a fact that is so very hard to accept. Sometimes forces beyond our control take over. I hope you can find comfort and be at peace just as soon as you possibly can, and I'm sure Bolt, who loved you, would want this for you too! In the meantime, please be gentle with yourself, and know you did all that you could. And please accept my most heartfelt sympathy!

• stillanntn6b
    6 years ago

I am so sorry for the sudden loss of Bolt.

What I've seen with our pets and the dog collection of the guy next door is that pet illnesses are unpredictable. Some animals hide it. (And then there are the cats who have had a hurt paw, gotten fluffy wuffy kittycat treats for it, and then several times a year pull the hurt paw treatment for more treats, only sometimes they forget and lift the wrong paw, and then walk off, all paws healthy)

I have a beagle loving friend who somehow kept her ailing beagle alive for three years with so many medicines all of which had deleterious side effects. The side effects then needed other medicine. She has said that she wish she had known what was coming and she could have spared her dog the reduced quality of life.

I think pets that can run and cavort around their kingdoms do so as long as they can. Then they either redefine their lives in a more limited way or they chose to lie down and pass.

Hugs.

• anniesjacuzzi
    6 years ago

Melissa.... My heart is with you. You did everything you could for your precious Bolt, especially loving him. I still beat myself up over losing my first beloved Bichon, Newton over 9 years ago. Since he was my first dog I thought I missed something too, even though I took him to the vet and gave him thousands of dollars of care. Just know that you did what you could and sometimes it just isn't enough❤️ I'm crying with you......

• cathz6
    6 years ago

Oh Melissa, it is so hard. We are their protectors, until one day we can't. The dogs I have known were stoic. Sometimes so close to death and seeming perfectly normal. It just is. Sometimes I think it gives us better understanding...in the end.

Cath

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I'm so truly sorry, Melissa. It's especially difficult if added to the pain of losing a pet there is the question of what could or should have been done differently. I don't know the cause of Bolt's chronic cough and unless an autopsy is done it will always remain a mystery. You did everything you could, and since Bolt seemed happy and energetic it would have been difficult for you to suspect that something dire was going on, if indeed it was. Just feeling the pain of his passing is more than enough for you to deal with, as I well know.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and it's hard feeling responsible as we do for our beloved pets. I echo Ann's comments that sometimes pets hide their conditions in order to handle things in their own ways. Even at my mother's death, when my brother and I were home caring for her with help from a hospice nurse, we received some of the same kind of feedback about handling things independently. We'd been sitting with her round the clock in case she woke up and needed something or just wanted to talk, yet it was during a 15 minute period when both of us had stepped away that she passed. The hospice nurse, who obviously has experienced death in her charges many many times, said that in her experience this is very common and seems to be an active choice at some level to have one final choice about life at its end, and to have the most personal of acts be something done privately.

You gave Bolt the gift of freedom of choice and movement all of his life, and he obviously thanked you with the joy he brought to the time he had to spend. You also gave him the gift of choice at the end to have peace and freedom at home in his own way. If he could talk, I'm convinced that's the way he would have chosen. You obviously grieve his loss but don't second guess or regret the gifts you gave him.

Cynthia

• boncrow66
    6 years ago

Cynthia, what you have said has touched me deeply and moved me to tears because you are absolutely right and have said it so eloquently. Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your mother.

• User
    6 years ago

It is so difficult to have animals in our lives, and to love them as unconditionally as they love us, when we know that they won't live as long as we'd like them to.

Melissa, I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you won't blame yourself. As mentioned, dogs tend to be stoic when not feeling well, and it sounds like Bolt had a great life running loose, and that his death was fairly quick and pain-free.

I don't think it's illogical to ask if there's anything you could have done better, but it sounds like the correct answer is "no"; you covered the basics of food, shelter and healthcare, and- more importantly- loved him.

After we lost two dogs (brother and sister from the same litter) in the space of two years, we had decided to wait a bit before getting another dog, but I couldn't stand not having a dog, and we adopted Lucy less than a month after Lucky died. Lucy's previous person died when she was 2 years old, and she has us pretty well trained by now, nearly 3 years later. I hope you will find another dog as soon as you feel ready.

In sympathy,

Virginia

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

Melissa, I understand your feelings of guilt, but I don't believe they are justified. It was unfortunate you coudn't reach your vet on Sunday, but by the looks of it, it would have made no difference. I'm sorry that you have lost Bolt. It's always painful, even with the best death possible. And I agree with others, that he had a great life, running free, and being loved.

As for the cough, a friend of mine has had a cough for over a year. There appears to be nothing wrong, and she feels perfectly well. Maybe that was the case with Bolt, too.

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs can get the flu. Possibly it was that. It sounds like you did what you reasonably could. I know the "what ifs/shoulda/coulda's" are awful. We lost our dog in March.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I am so sorry too. I still can't stand to think about my now gone, dogs, in my case. They are so precious to all of us. I had to adopt another from rescue organizations pretty immediately.

• Dara McKay
    6 years ago

Oh, what a truly wonderful name you assigned your dog -- Bolt! It sounds as though you put in place everything he needed to have a wonderful life too. Frankly, I think he had a good death, very probably the one he wanted. I say this as one who's taken on several canine companions and seen off all but our current two. I could tell you stories ... their going is always hard. Grieve, and go on. I know what shortens mourning and helps with my losses, but it may be too early for you to hear it.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks to all of you who answered for your sympathy, and for your shared experiences. They do help, and I feel better about the care I gave Bolt (he was named by DD, who was the one who wanted a dog in the first place). Cynthia, I don't know whether your mother's death is a recent event, but you have my condolences. And to John. It is bad to lose a dog that way, as I know very much by recent experience. I'm sorry your dog died, and in such a traumatic fashion.

When I called up the vet to tell him what had happened he sounded quite shocked and as though he hadn't expected such an outcome. I also asked him if I should have done anything differently, and he said no, and that he himself had followed the standard treatment in such a case. So we were both taken by surprise.

Bolt did have a happy life here. He was a very active animal, and at the farm he had room to roam and a family to hang out with, and what dog could ask for more? Oh, and the ever-filled food dish, of course. And while I would have liked to see him around for many more years than was the case, at least he didn't have a long period of suffering at the end.

So now I have a phantom dog following me about, and that's not bad: what hurts is when I forget for a moment that he's no longer with us, and then abruptly reality returns. Even DH misses Bolt, considerably to his own surprise. He grew up at a time and in a culture in which people didn't keep pets much, and when I first met him he considered dogs and cats to be more or less four-legged eating machines. Extensive contact with family pets slowly compelled him to change his mind, but he still tolerated Bolt at best. Now he finds he misses the companionship, and is actually talking about us getting another dog. Which we may do, though I'm not sure it's prudent. I'm inclined to think there are more important things in the world than prudence.

Melissa

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

I still expect my dog to greet me. I had him for 15 years. I totally get the phantom dog following you experience and the repeated heartbreak when you re-realize he is gone.

I'm so sorry.

• gagalzone8
    6 years ago

I am truly sorry for your loss....we are a family of dog lovers...hubby trains hunting dogs, I work with rescue and have my two adorable babies! We used to live on a 100 acre farm and had yard dogs. They loved to be outside with the horses and would run freely through the barn & pastures and visit the kennel. We have since downsized and my dogs do not go out unless I am with them. We have a fenced yard, but my dogs are small and I worry about the hawks that sit in our trees! (I swear, I would choke one if it grabbed my dogs!) Please do not beat yourself up. We have been thru rattle snake bites, fosters with heartworms, kennel cough, a dog that ran thru a wire fence and tore his "privates" (now that was just pitiful!) surgeries at vet hospitals....my hubby even got a dog to "try" before he bought it, that was attacked by a rabid raccoon. (we sent it off thru the Health Dept and it was rabid)..turn out the stupid owner had never given the dog a rabies shot!!!! We were told to quarantine the dog for 6 months and have no contact with it but to feed....the owner wanted the dog back, but my hubby had the dog put to sleep. We had no way to keep it totally contained and our children safe...NO WAY was that dog going back to the owner....so many people would have been exposed..just dangerous. My hubby was so depressed, he also had to take the rabies shots....I guess, I am trying to say, that things happen...sometimes you may see signs and can do something about it...other times...not. It sounds like your dog was one lucky guy to be loved by you and have freedom to run and play. Our hunting dogs are in kennels, but they are let out everyday into a huge fenced area to run and play while my anal neat freak hubby cleans their runs....

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

Melissa that is so sweet about your husband and Bolt. I agree there are more important things in life than prudence! Choosing to care for a pet that *will* eventually die no matter what, is it "prudent"? No, but giving a dog a happy, stress-free life, running freely among roses on a farm? That's better than prudence.

I know my own little Charlie is growing old, and is getting deaf and rather blind, has some urinary issues. I could maybe do something differently, go crazy with visits to the vet etc. but I'd rather he spend his remaining years happily sleeping in the sun, or trotting around the yard after me (instead of being stressed and prodded and tested at the clinic). And like Bolt, his time will come, and it will be sad. And then I'll find another dog to give a happy life to. There are so many abandoned, scared, mistreated and hungry animals out there. To give one the kind of life you've given Bolt is really wonderful. Warm hugs from here...........

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I understand, Melissa. So many of us have been where you are now. The pain will lessen with time, as hard as that is to imagine right now. His life was good. Try not to think so much on the last few days of his life, but of the many happy years you had together. Hugs, Lisa

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

My heart goes out to you, Melissa, and all others who are mourning the loss of a loved one. Unfortunately and unwarranted, guilt and second guessing are a natural part of the grieving process.

I remember seven years ago leaving my office on a Friday evening with such excitement that my daughter was going to the movies with friends, my son was going to a concert with friends and my husband was going to a football game with friends…a Friday night alone! I was planning to finish up a painting project and then enjoy a peaceful evening all to myself. In route home (55 miles from my office), a voice kept telling me I hadn’t seen my parents (their farm was 20 miles from ours) in a couple of weeks, and I should visit them. I really tried to resist that voice…I really wanted to go straight home…but it was a persistent voice in my head that wouldn’t let up. I ended up having a lovely evening with my parents.
    They were getting ready to go to bed when I headed home that night. I awoke the next morning to a call from my hysterical mom telling me dad (75 years old and in good health) had died in his sleep. At first, I believed God was telling me to see my dad before he died for my sake…so I had that wonderful memory of our last visit and so I didn’t feel guilty that, although they weren’t too far away from me, I hadn’t gone to see them in a couple of weeks. I soon realized that push from above was also to help my mom cope. I can’t count how many times I’ve answered her same questions: “you were there that night…your dad seemed fine to you didn’t he…you know he wouldn’t have admitted if he didn’t feel good, but I should have been able to tell…I didn’t miss something, did I?” I’m so very thankful I was there and can say with confidence that nothing was missed…dad seemed perfectly fine when he went to sleep…there was no way to know he would not wake up again.

We lost our beloved shepherd in March of this year to hip dysplasia. Like Ann’s friend, we prolonged his life with a wicked assortment of medications for about a year before euthanizing. I’ve felt very guilty that probably we waited too long before letting go. Determining when quality of life has diminished to the point that death is the better choice is very hard when you are in the midst of the situation. We waited 3 ½ months after Bowser’s passing to adopt Miss Betty from the local shelter. We needed the time to mourn and reflect on whether Bowser’s decline should have been handled differently. I can’t change those choices now, but I know I felt I was doing the right thing at the time. Seeing Betty becoming healthier and happier every day since we adopted her has helped ease the pain, too.

In all my rambling, I’m trying to say that you handled Bolt’s situation to the best of your ability and to please try not to beat yourself up over it. We all question our actions and decisions, but as long as they are made with the best intentions, it’s okay.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. As pet owners, when they die we can't help but wonder what we could have done to prolong their lives. Last year I took my cat to the vet because he was being inactive and found out he had cancer. The vet wanted me to put him down immediately but I couldn't bear it. They gave him an antibiotic and I took him home where he died a week later. I try to remember that our pets love us and know we are doing our best to keep them healthy and happy.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Thanks for your kind words on my behalf, everyone. My mother died 12 years ago but at least my children were old enough to remember her a little - my father died the year before they were born and I regret that he was never able to hold them, even if all they'd have would be the pictures. Both of them died young of progressive disabilities that have hereditary links, so I remind people that's why I exercise (and garden) faithfully. I am the age where my father started his progressive disability, I have some of my mother's same conditions, and I'd like to live past 60 God willing (an age that is rapidly approaching). My parents gave me the very great gift of dying with peace and confidence in the future, and I hope to give my children the same gift. Well hopefully not yet, though we're taking them both in to get their driver's permits this week and that calls for considerable extra prayers (as if I need any more incentive to be careful in coaching them to drive).

John, that picture of Henry says "I love you and I miss you" as clearly as if he could talk. You had a traumatic time in losing him, but the suddenness that was so hard for you may have made it much easier on him. Pat, your insight at your father's death was so very touching - thank you for sharing that with us! It's poignant that your mother needed you there even more than you needed to be there, to be a support for each other. That's a good reminder to be sure to listen to that "still small voice" when we hear it, even if the message doesn't necessarily make sense at the time.

Melissa, you're absolutely right that it's not prudent to get another pet and that's exactly why we bring these beings into our lives. Love isn't prudent because it opens us up to be hurt, but who would want to live their lives without love? Pets trust us to care for them to the best of our abilities (knowing they don't expect perfect problem solving just caring). We trust them to be there to love for as long as we can, even though we're fairly sure we'll outlive them and face the hurt that comes along with that. Love is worth it and it's one of the most important things in life.

Even (gasp) more important than roses... (smile).

Cynthia

• User
    6 years ago

Of course, we are all growing roses because that is such a prudent thing to do...

;>)

Virginia

• monarda_gw
    6 years ago

I am so so sorry -- sometimes the best dogs die young.

• cathz6
    6 years ago

At one time, my mother was on a mission to gently coax my sister to get a dog. My sister was single and Mom thought that the dog would be protection. In a conversation with me my sister was complaining about it and saying she didn't need protection. I thought that she should get a dog and said so. Whereupon she shot back, "Why?' "They make you smile", said I. She grumpily conceded that THAT was a good reason. They make you smile and they make you cry but somehow it is all worth it.

Cath

P.S. She did get a dog.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I for my part thank everybody for these contributions, which are for all of us. Cynthia, I hope your exercise (and gardening) help you to live a healthy and long life! I share your approach, and, at almost sixty, I find myself somewhat creaky but overall feeling pretty good. John, that was a beautiful photo of your dog Henry. Pat, thanks for your story. I don't want to enlarge on everybody's contributions, because you've all spoken for yourselves far more eloquently than anything I could add ever would, but I appreciate very much these parts of your lives that you've shared.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Melissa, I am so sorry for the sudden and unexpected loss of Bolt. Losing your precious doggie hurts. The hurt is because of love . Bolt felt loved and happy in his short life. He may not have had a long life but he had a rich life. And it doesn't get better than that.

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Melissa, as a dog lover I sympathize with you. There's no point in trying to identify what the problem was since the vet could not pinpoint it. I've lost dogs in a similar way. You will have the best memories of him I'm sure. My two pieces of advice would be to get a new pup as soon as you feel able to and to change your vet..

6 years ago

I changed Vets after an error that caused our dog Chili's death. I also was relieved when a pet ER opened in Anchorage, although too late for us sadly. For people or pets an ER can save a life, when the regular system is too slow or closed.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Nik, I've thought about going to a different vet as well, though I began going to this guy because he was recommended as a good one. There is the problem that I live in a sparsely populated countryside, so that veterinarians aren't numerous. I don't want to have a half hour or more trip when an animal needs care.

• User
    6 years ago

Melissa, I perfectly understand your situation; there's only one veterinary studio in my area, with 2 doctors that cover the work. One would have to drive to the city to find other vets, and that would be highly impractical as well as rather cruel to a sick animal who perhaps hates being in the car (my cats sure hated it). Also, the fact that he couldn't make a diagnosis doesn't mean he's incompetent by any means. Sometimes that happens with people-doctors, too. Medical science is not omnipotent. It's also different for animals I think. Maybe if a person had a wierd cronic cough, for example, a doc would do x-rays or MRI or something to see if such tests revealed anything, but I seriously do not think that here in Italy at least these procedures would be much used on animals, and I am not sure that that is such a bad thing. I remember our vet saying to me that animals aren't like us humans. If a human gets sick, we try to fight it off as much as we can : a sick, weak person who can't eat will find ways (thanks to science) to recieve sustenance and nutrition in the hopes of getting better. But is that natural for an animal? Are they capable of "hoping to get better"? This is one of my scruples about how we treated our beloved cats when they were old and sickly. For example, Willie couldn't keep anything down very well, so I gave him baby food. But he didn't like it. He would've perferred to eat fish,I think, and so what if he puked it up? He had become so fragile he could barely sit up straight, yet still wanted to go outside. But I didn't let him. I couldn't bear the thought of him dying out there by himself, even though the vet told me that animals actually prefer to be alone when dying. I think for him it might've really been like that. If he had been able to state his personal preference, I think he might have said to me: please, Eileen, just let me eat what I want. Let me continue to go outside. Let me "go down with my flags flying". Animals are not humans, and I for one am very much against the "humanization" of animals. To me, it's a lack of respect for them, a lack of love for what they really are.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I have to add something here. Yesterday, I thought about you and Bolt, and the other pets mentioned and shown here that have passed on. I thought about it ALL DAY LONG. I felt like a hypocrite for writing that pain would lessen in time, and to think of the many good years, instead of Bolts last few days. I know the pain does lessen with time, but I'm sorry. That might not have been the right thing to say while the pain was so fresh. I'm sorry for your loss. Lisa

6 years ago

I do think sharing love with a rescue dog really helped our family with our loss. Jax has brought joy to our hearts.

• toolbelt68
    6 years ago

Melissa, I don’t normally post as I know nothing about roses but I do know about loosing a wonderful dog. Her name was Wiggles. When we received her ashes there was a note attached that helped us get though our grief.

It read as follows:

There is a bridge connecting heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.
    When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.
    There is only on thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!
    You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.
    Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.
    Author Unknown

Original Author
    6 years ago

Bart, thanks for the insights, and it's always reassuring when another person understands the practicalities of one's situation. Lisa, I wasn't at all offended by your first post. I appreciate your concern. Thanks again for everybody's caring and taking the time to write and share their experiences. I'm glad to be able to be with such kind people on this forum: you're good company!

My daughter says that all dogs go to heaven.

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

My cats did not show a sign of wanting to die alone. They always stayed close and when they didn't have a good quality of life remaining, we chose a peaceful, painless way to leave for them.

I have had good, loving vets who have made mistakes. You do the best that you can. I have been lucky to have some very very good doctors and specialists for cats here in CA. Looking back on 40 years of having cat companions, I believe diet is one of the best things you can do to safeguard their health and ours. Medicine is wonderful but sometimes comes with side effects and long term changes to the body. Even with the best care, things happen.

It's good to know how to examine your pet, take a pulse and temperature and weight. Pets age faster, so they need blood work done more often as they mature. In an emergency, it's good to know where your nearest full service animal hospital is.

I know you loved your dog. It hurts when they leave. Dogs have a powerful gift of love and friendship that they share freely with us.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Melissa, I'm just now getting back to the forum and wish to offer my condolences along with others in the old rose community. I am so sorry about your family's loss and the circumstances! In support of your care and the words of other dog lovers here, I, too, believe you did all that you could. In this day, illnesses are often treatable due to medical progress, so it catches one off guard when something unexpected and irreversible occurs, but sudden loss implies no neglect. Canine diseases are tricky for a list of reasons. We all have our life spans, and your family blessed Bolt with a happy stretch on the planet filled with love and care, and Bolt returned the blessing with that special kind of devotion that canines offer their humans. A wonderful exchange for as long as it lasts. It took us over a year to adopt another dog, but when the healing had taken hold and we felt ready, we decided to invite our collie Nova into the family for however many years we can be with her. Thank you for sharing with us, Melissa, and for giving us an opportunity to tell you that you are a good dog person! With love and sympathy, Carol

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Thank you, Melissa. My cat Sebastian, had stopped eating for 3 days, and went to work that Friday with my son(he works at a veterinary office.) I feared the worst, as he had been sick for a while. When I thought about what I had written, I felt terrible. I'm glad you are doing ok. Lisa

Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, how's your cat doing?

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Melissa, thank you for asking. I have great news about Sebastian. The reason I felt so terrible about telling you the pain would lessen in time, was that I truly expected to lose my buddy of 10 years on Friday. I was hurting terribly, and waited all day for news. I kept thinking about what I had written to you, never expecting that I might lose my own pet so soon after that. I kept thinking that if we need to put him down today, the pain will lesson with time. Yet, it gave me no comfort in the moment, so I felt hypocritical about my comment.

After waiting about 9 hours at home to hear what had been found, I finally heard from my son.( He works at a large veterinary practice) Sebastian had megacolon. The reason he hadn't eaten for three days, was because he was completely clogged up from the the stomach exit to the "final exit point". This had been slowly building up over at least a month, possibly two. He is now doing so much better. He's like a young kitty again. He's taking meds, and this may need to continue if this becomes a chronic problem. That's ok with me. He went from deaths door to feeling great, in two days time. The Vet said he was becoming toxic and would have ruptured or the toxic megacolon would have taken him soon. I'm very grateful that I've been given more time with my buddy. I'm sorry your outcome wasn't the same, really sorry.

Here is Sebastian this morning, checking things out in the garden. He's feeling great again. Lisa

• User
    6 years ago

Lisa, we have found that a spoonful or two of canned pumpkin can help with dogs when they get constipated. I just looked, and apparently, it also works for cats. It's a whole other question as to whether Sebastien would try it, though.

So glad he's better, so glad you aren't as stressed.

Virginia

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Wonderful news, Lisa! Carol

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Thanks, Carol and Virginia. You're exactly right, Virginia. That's what the veterinarian said, too. Good old Amazon just delivered a case of canned cat food with pumpkin mixed in.

He's had this kind before, so I'm pretty sure he will eat it, well at least some of it. Strangely, he's always preferred dry food. His teeth are in great shape due to the grain free kibble, but he needs more moisture so I'm transitioning him to more canned food. The Vet also recommended that I add Miralax to his wet food. He's not crazy about it, and somehow Dexter got in my bathroom and gobbled it down in 5 seconds flat! Good old Dex spent the evening in and out of the litter box, but no harm done. Crazy pets:) Lisa