SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_tt

What we don't like

kathy_t
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

When I recently reread The Storied Life of A. J. Fikrey by Gabrielle Zevin, I was once again amused by A.J.'s rant when asked what he likes in a book. His reply:

“Like ... How about I tell you what I don't like? I do not like postmodernism, postapocalyptic settings, postmortem narrators, or magic realism. I rarely respond to supposedly clever formal devices, multiple fonts, pictures where they shouldn't be - basically gimmicks of any kind. I find literary fiction about the Holocaust or any other major world tragedy to be distasteful - nonfiction only, please. I do not like genre mashups a la the literary detective novel or the literary fantasy. Literary should be literary, and genre should be genre, and cross breeding rarely results in anything satisfying... I do not like anything over four hundred pages or under one hundred and fifty pages. I am repulsed by ghostwritten novels by reality television stars, celebrity picture books, sports memoirs, movie tie-in editions, novelty items, and - I imagine this goes without saying - vampires.”

While this passage amuses me greatly, I certainly share some of A.J.'s dislikes. How about you? Are there things you try to avoid when selecting your next read?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH