SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenlee7782

21" Sink Regrets: Fix Now or Later?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm at the tail end of a kitchen renovation. Got my countertops installed yesterday (with one annoying hiccup, which is a tale for another day) and am relieved and excited that I LOVE my countertops and the kitchen looks exactly as I envisioned.

Problem is (isn't there always something?), when they brought in the countertops, I noticed the sink cutout looked smaller than what I was expecting. Turns out, the cutout is correct, but I purchased the incorrect sink. I thought I was getting a sink with a 25" x 15" basin, but the basin is actually 21" x 15". The sink didn't look so small in the box so I didn't notice the size discrepancy.

If I had really thought this through, I would've gotten a much wider sink cabinet (I have plenty of counter space and storage to spare) and gone with a 30" or larger sink, but that's not an option now since my sink cab is 30". Lesson learned for next reno!

Two options that I'd love to get your opinion on:

A) Proceed to get plumbing hooked up next week and live with sink for awhile and see if it truly bothers me.

B) Since reno isn't fully wrapped up, get this over with now and talk to fabricator about how much it would cost to get larger cutout. Realize this may be a $1000+ project to gain 4". I would love that extra 4", but at what cost? Idk.

Few questions:

1. In regards to option A, if I decide to wait, is it more difficult to create a bigger cutout and install new sink because the plumbing is hooked up? In other words, should I bite the bullet and do it now or is it the same level of effort now vs. later?

2. In regards to option B, if they're willing to cut onsite (omg, all that dust again...), do they have to uninstall the slab and backsplash? While the seam isn't perfect, I'm not bothered by it and would hate to compromise that and the unblemished countertops if they have to uninstall everything.

Here are some other useful and revealing facts!

• Because of my color palette, I was hell bent on getting black fixtures, including an undermount black sink, limiting my size options. When this small sink thing came up, started considering drop-in black sinks or stainless steel undermounts to open up size options, but I fear I may regret not sticking to my guns. Lots of soul searchin' for a Saturday afternoon (ha).
  • I'm a single-person household and will only be, at most, a two-person household in the future.
  • This is not a forever home (more like a 5 year home).
  • My previous sink was the same dimensions as this one (21" x 15"), but much shallower at 5" versus 9" for new sink. I always wished I had a deeper sink. Got that, at least.

It also sorta bothers me that it looks so small compared to how much countertop there is, but I think that's something I'll get over.

Close-up of sink. Faucet isn't hooked up; only there for context.

Pulled back shot of sink and countertops

Comments (16)