SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

Very challenging blind corner with constraints: what would you do?

swiss_chard_fanatic
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have a blind corner to contend with. Our handyman friend will be doing all the cabinet work and countertop work and he indicated to me that removing the vertical beam and/or the shelf would be a major modification and that would be too burdensome. He also has some physical limitations that would make such work harder.

Keep in mind that this is a whole kitchen remodel involving lots of work; the cabinets alone he estimated were going to take 5 days at least (sanding, filling, priming, painting, recycling existing shelving, etc). I don't want to add any unnecessary burdens on him. As the project has evolved, more labor has been added, but he has not increased the project cost because he's a friend and he's doing this more as a favor than for money. Keeping that in mind, I don't want to burden him excessively.

He has not said no to anything except for this blind corner. I'm not going to push him.

He has put the following constraints on this blind corner:

1) Do not remove vertical support beam.
2) Do not remove the existing shelf.

With those constraints, is there anything that can be done? Our blind corner looks very similar to this one:

Opening is 13-1/2" wide. Counter depth is 25".

Comments (8)