SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hcbm

Does anyone make narrow shoes anymore?

hcbm
6 years ago

I have always worn very narrow shoes, even as I age. I had bunion surgery a year ago and unfortunately my doctor didn't get rid of my bunion. It is smaller but not gone. This has left me with a real problem finding shoes that fit well. I am tired of years of stuffing shoes, wearing inserts and cookies etc. Ferragamo's and Bally's have always fit and I have two pair that are over 30 years old that I still wear regularly. I decided to go shopping and treat myself to two pair of new shoes, a black pant shoes and a low healed nude or black Ferragamo pump. Shockingly they no longer have narrows except for one single pair. I did not want that style. I tried Bally, Channel, Peter Green etc. No luck. Yes, I can buy Easy Spirt and Naturalizer but they are not really narrow enough. This is a once in a lifetime purchase. If those two pair of shoes are still wearable (resoled several times) after all this time, these two new pair should last my lifetime. I am willing to spend a large amount to get what I want, of course if I can pay less, all the better. Any suggestions, help, ideas are welcome. As an older middle aged women who loves classic clothes and shoes I often feel sad and forgotten by the fashion gods.

Comments (62)

• hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it is so frustrating. I wish someone would make shoes for real feet.

I feel annoyed at the industry when I realize many women walk around in ill fitting, foot damaging shoes just because they can't find something pretty that fits.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Clarks Shoes come in narrow widths. They make classic styles too.

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/c/womens

hcbm thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Related Discussions

does anyone know how to make a good fridge anymore?

Q

Comments (16)
    I love my cheapo Kenmore! I bought it last year after thoroughly researching and subsequently giving up on all the fancy brands. OK, it doesn't look very chic, but I have to admit it hasn't let me down - the temperature always seems to be perfect and my food is actually staying fresh alot longer than any other refrigerator I've had. It's quiet. The storage space has turned out to be convenient and flexible (unlike many of the more expensive refrigerators I looked at). It doesn't use a lot of energy. It cost around $600 and is a little over 18 cu ft. I bought it to replace an almost identical whirlpool that I had for 3 years before that one died an early death, and every day I'm happily surprised at how much better this refrigerator is in all respects.
    ...See More

Does anyone can anymore? WAAAAY O.T.

Q

Comments (8)
    #$LL YES, I CAN! I put away a total of 97 ears of corn from our own garden. About 27 jars-pint size only- of tomatoes, not just canned tomatoes but also salsa and tomato sauce. (I quit canning maters early 'cause my left leg suddenly started swelling up when I stand too long. Never happened to me before.) We only did about 17 jars of green beans 'cause we took lots to MIL. Froze squash until my hands started to look yellow. And PICKLES! Geez, my DH took care of those. We have bread and butter and dill pickles to last until the next crop comes in. We are currently waiting for turnips, carrots and MORE GREEN BEANS! Not sure what he thinks I'm gonna do with them 'cause I am done for the season. Currently we are getting our pumpkins out of the patch. We planted BIG MACS and the regular jackolatern pumpkins. I will post a pic of the kids with the pumpkins! We are most excited about those pumpkins! I plan to have apples next weekend. I LOVE cooked apples. We freeze them. I have never made jam but I think I would like to try. I do make some red pepper jelly, but it just never seems to be as good as my SIL does it. DH loves his garden and since he works so hard getting it going each year, I feel compelled to "put the food up" as he calls it. His parents always canned. I don't mind it too much. As you stated, it's good to know where your food came from. Ours is totally organic. We don't put anything on our plants. We do have beetle traps at various places around the yard though. My friends tell me I'm a dying breed. Don't know about that but I don't know many people, especially my age, who can anymore.
    ...See More

Does anyone do white cabinets and white island anymore?

Q

Comments (14)
    i actually think the trend of white cabs/stained island will end up being dated sooner than later....that said I'm still considering it for the practicality of the island being the busiest part of the kitchen with seating on one side and sink/dw/trash on the working side. I think it will help keeping the island looking better longer than if I had white all over. Still prefer the look of white/white overall.
    ...See More

Does anyone wear pantyhose anymore?

Q

Comments (35)
    I think if you are dressing up you should wear either panty hose or thigh highs.I just think people look underdressed without nylons when they are supposed to be dressed up. A lot of the tv stars don't wear them,like Kelly Rippa and some of the other hostess's of shows don't wear them either,also some of the runway models. MY own personal opinion is that they make the outfit and the person look finished. Oh and i really hate to see women in dresses in the winter time with open toed shoes as well and no hose!!!JMO Kathi
    ...See More
  • Bluebell66
    6 years ago

I haven't found too many, that is for sure. I, too, need a larger (wider and taller) toe box and narrow heel. I love summer when I can wear flip flops, but it doesn't solve the problem of work and dress shoes. I have found that some Clark's, Munro and Vaneli do work, if you can find stylish ones in those brands, but other than that, it's a crap shoot. Good luck!

hcbm thanked Bluebell66
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

I have wide/normal feet, but I see a ton of Ferragamo in narrow widths on eBay. If you're sure if your size, you might try that route.

Stuart Weitzman is now owned by Coach and the quality looks significantly diminished. Leather soles are now manmade etc.

http://footwearnews.com/2016/business/executive-moves/coach-wayne-kulkin-stuart-weitzman-bring-footwear-in-house-266064/

hcbm thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

I love Zappos because I can try the shoes on at home, then return those that don't work for me. I have returned many more than I ultimately purchased.

hcbm thanked terezosa / terriks
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

Nordstrom.com has 4A, 3A, and 2A, and you can filter to see the selection available.

hcbm thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone. I have to realize it is a different world and just embrace the internet shopping. I just hate the returns and the cost of returns. I know Zappos has free returns.

I used to love wandering around the department stores and ogling all the clothes. To me it was like a museum where you could touch the art.

I had no idea Clarks still made narrows, because when you go in the store the clerk says, "Sorry we don't have narrows." and it is frustrating to go into my old goto store like Bloomingdales or Nordstrom and they have no narrows in the store. Bloomingdales in Manhattan doesn't even order them for you anymore.

1929Spanish_gw That is very interesting about Stewart Weitzman and Coach. I refuse to pay $300-$600 for a pair of shoes that are made in China or won't last 30 years.

Ebay might be my answer. I have bought gently used on Ebay before, but it has been hit or miss, but when a hit a great bargain.

lizzy_grow the Munro site was very useful. I learned that I need to get my feet measured and how the same length foot with different widths needs a different length size. I will head to Harry's or Enzlo's (NY icon stores of shoes for old feet) next week to have my feet measured by someone who knows what they are doing. I saw a pair of sandals I don't need but loved on Munro's site. Do they ever have big sales?

Thank you all for letting me vent. This has been super helpful. I am going to make a list of every suggestion and start shopping. Maybe I will end up with more than 2 pair of shoes?

If anyone has more suggestions of specific web sites, stores, or brands keep them coming. I will be traveling to South Florida soon, maybe I can shop there also.

• hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just checked Nordstrom's website and only one pair of shoes comes up when you filter for narrow. This is why I am so frustrated.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I don't know if it's a fluke but shoes made in Spain seem to fit my skinny foot. Unfortunately most are not easily available in the U.S.

Donald J. Pliner shoes used to be made in Spain and maybe still are(?) I remember reviews stating that they ran very narrow. Available in the U.S.

ETA: nope...D.J.P shoes now say "imported ", not made in Spain.

For casual sandals I have had luck with the Flexx brand ...Band Together sandal (highly recommend).

Next time I'm near a Neiman Marcus I plan to try on some Sesto Meucci shoes as I have read some run narrow.

hcbm thanked just_terrilynn
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

hmorton, on the Nordstrom site, click on Women/Shoes. Scroll down, and on the left menu, you'll see "Width". Click on the + sign, there are check boxes for 4A, 3A, and 2A along with other widths. I get 43 results for 4A, 19 for 3A.

hcbm thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

diane_nj Thank you very much, I had clicked on the wrong link and in my frustrated mood did not realize I had made a mistake.

justerrilynn I have had shoes made in Spain and Argentina that were narrow enough to fit without being marked narrow. The Sesto Meucci shoes are narrow, but I am not drawn to the styles they usually make. I have not heard of Flexx but will look them up.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I think you need to go to a shoe salon where there are still salespersons who know how to measure feet. I had a narrow foot for years -AAA even sometimes quads. Then, I thought my feet had gotten longer - pregnancy and years later, weight gain and age. Everything was too wide at the heel! One day I limped into a local store that had lots of othopedic "old lady" shoes. I thought I wore an 8AA or AAA. He measured my feet and I actually wore a 7C! I was shocked! He said I did what most women do - just keep going up a 1/2 size until the shoes are so bug in the heel, they can't walk. Then, they buy Dr Scholls things that fit in the heel!

What a difference it's made wearing the right size. Your bunionectomy was most likely not a failure- you're just wearing shoes that are too narrow and they are gaining you a bunion again. My mother did that as she thought wide feet were "common".

Stuart Weitzman also makes C widths and Ferragomo used to do. For times you don't need a heel, go to Belgian Shoes in NYC on East 55th - they're closed next week for vacation. They make all widths - I usually can wear either a 7M or 7W in their shoes. They're SO comfortable!

Yes, the people in the store will be rude to you - they are to everyone, even customers if 50 years. We just deal with it...

hcbm thanked Anglophilia
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

This are the Flexx band together sandal. Sooo comfortable!!!

I bought the above before vacation and as I wanted to limit the number of shoes to pack I also wanted a neutral pair with a taller heel but suitable for cobblestones walking. I went to close to 50 shops with no luck. As a last resort I stopped by TJmax and found a perfect fit for around $30 (can't remember).

I found the next pair in the U.K. The brand as a whole wasn't my thing but I loved these and they fit like a glove. The color seems to change depending on the light from silver, gold and champagne. Brand: Seven Boot Lane. Made in Spain.

Helle shoes are also made in Spain. It's another brand I don't like as a whole but they fit well and used to have a few that I liked. Zappos's does not seem to have any selection any more though. It's been a few years, and, it doesn't look like they wrap the heel anymore.

I am still looking for a good fit dress shoes.

hcbm thanked just_terrilynn
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anglohillia thank you for your suggestion of Belgian Shoes, I will stop there soon. Yes, I do plan on getting my feet measured by a seasoned professional. My bunionectomy was not a complete failure, I no longer have the same pain, it is different and not constant. I am not getting a new bunion I am only just beginning to wear shoes. I have been in wide sneakers for a year. The doctor didn't remove enough of the bone. He said, "Oh that's swelling and will go down" for 9 months and finally admitted it wasn't his best work. Frustrating to say the least.

Justerrilynn love the photos. Isn't it wonderful when you find a fantastic bargain. I would love to buy tons of inexpensive shoes. I know many women that have a different pair of shoes for every outfit. I will never be that woman, but I need a few pairs so that I can look put together.

• suero
    6 years ago

I've got a narrow width, and I've found that Clark's fit well and are comfortable. I go to the store to check the fit and then they ship the color I want to my home at no charge. It's not instant gratification, but at least I know that the shoe will fit.

hcbm thanked suero
  • LucyStar1
    6 years ago

Talbots has narrow width shoes. If you have a Talbots near you, you could try them on. Or buy online and return to the store.

Narrow Widths

hcbm thanked LucyStar1
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LucyStar1 I forgot about Talbots. I haven't shopped there in years. Thank you. My list is growing.

I have taken all my shoes out of the closet and am wearing every pair for a few hours around the house. I have found many are just too tight in the toe bed now, but still just right in the heel. My boots all still fit except for one very old Italian made, form fitting riding boot. The leather separated at the bunion area. I will bring them to a good shoe repair shop and see what can be done. I love those boots. In all likelihood I will be getting rid of most of my shoes, even several that I have not worn or only wore for one time.

I have purchased one pair yesterday of Ferragamo loafers in bright pink. They were on sale and fit with socks. They were not narrows but were a size 8 1/2. Not the most practical but I they make me smile.

• hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

aprilneverends- I have not heard of all those brands. I will keep looking trying on to find a perfect brand. Unfortunately, I Aquatalia does not fit my foot. I tried on several pair at the after Christmas sale at Bergdorf's and they hurt. I was bummed. I would love a pair of weatherproof dresser leather shoes.

• denali2007
    6 years ago

QVC has some narrow shoes but only certain styles. Go to their website and search narrow shoes.

hcbm thanked denali2007
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you denali2007. I will check them out.

• hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Today I found a wonderful pair of shoes at Stuart Weitzman. I first went to the Ferragamo store and they only carry one style in narrow :( On the next block was Stuart Weitzman so I went in and found several shoes that I liked and fit, all I liked came in narrow. Here is what I chose, very soft and with good support.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It is amazing to me how few stores carry narrows and most will not even measure your feet. I think that is crazy.

• Sammy
    6 years ago

See?? I knew you'd have luck at Stuart Weitzman! And those are very cute, btw; I think I might have to get a pair myself. ;)

hcbm thanked Sammy
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, Stuart Weitzman seemed to be perfect. The shoes I purchased had a large enough toe bed and the seam was not resting on the bunion. They still need a little breaking in before I can wear them all day. I usually wear shoes in the house with slightly thicker socks than I would wear normally for a few hours each day for a week before I wear them out. That way if they don't work I can return them without an issue and they also stretch in the areas I need them to stretch.

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

Trotters.

Trotters

hcbm thanked LucyStar1
  • kgriotxyz
    5 years ago

Go to Marmi, a retail store that carries a lot of narrow shoes, including Sesto Meucci.

hcbm thanked kgriotxyz
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi I'm surprised to see this almost 2 year old thread resurrected. thank you for adding to the list. I know Marmi. The shoes they sell are not usually my style. However, next to me I go looking I will check them out again.

• kgriotxyz
    5 years ago

I thought the same thing but they are so comfortable. I bought several very stylish ones and some less stylish. i just keep searching.

hcbm thanked kgriotxyz
  • kgriotxyz
    5 years ago

Could anyone tell me why Clarks stopped selling narrow/slim shoes?

hcbm thanked kgriotxyz
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think the question is why has almost everyone stopped making narrows? Many people really need a regular toe box and a narrow heel and that is impossible to find. As with peoples' weight going up, feet have gotten wider. Children are raised in sneakers not proper shoes. Maybe that has something to do with it. Manufactures don't see the up side to making shoes for the few who need them.

• kgriotxyz
    5 years ago

That is a great assessment. Glad I stock up and over buy narrows that are comfortable. The older I get the more important it becomes. Stubbs and Wooten are making me some beautiful flats in narrow. They only have about 4 narrow styles in stock, but they will custom make shoes in narrow and style you like. Happy shopping.

hcbm thanked kgriotxyz
  • HU-998425184
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My mother, Pat, wore an 11 4A or Quad. She could finally wear SAS Brand 11 Super Slim. She also found the MUNRO Brand at Nordstrom. She would go to their events twice a year and get one of each shoe and multiple colors. They fit her wonderful. Mom passed in Jan 2020. We would like to sell her collection to someone who finds it hard to get the right size like she did. Let me know if your interested to hear more.. Prices very reasonable. Leanne. Prinleo@msn.com

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

^^^^ But are they narrow?

I wonder how quickly Melvin will post some spam?

• Melvin Walker
    2 years ago

terezosa, what do you mean?

• cntryro
    2 years ago

I wear a 9 AAAA shoe. Munro makes a wuad S or a SS shoe. i order online as they arent eady to fond in stores. Ross Hammershsm ( might he spelled wrong) and i find them at Maryland Square website. Cole Hahn used to do narrow as did Florsheim, but not many now and one diesnt even make womens shoes anymore.

hcbm thanked cntryro
  • RM
    last year

Margaux NY makes shoes and boots in narrow

hcbm thanked RM
  • sushipup2
    last year

"RM", I'm curious how you managed to get 15 followers when this is your only post?

• RM
    last year

no clue? i rarely come here but have had an account for years

hcbm thanked RM
  • HU-182083966
    last year

Golden Goose, an Italian brand, makes loads of very upscale sneakers that are narrower and have an inner wedge. I have AA feet and AAAA heels and my pair of "Ballstars" in Golden Goose fit well and are comfortable. (found luckily at half price @ $280). I've also tried their "Superstar" line which seemed well-fitting.

Flexx are comfortable although not super narrow.

It's tough finding narrow boots, shoes, and flip-flops. I agree that shoes made in Europe have always fit me best. I have had some luck with Frye, though.

And also Coclico and Pedro Garcia, made in Spain.

hcbm thanked HU-182083966
  • OllieJane
    last year

My GF mentioned just yesterday that she looks for Vaneli shoes-she has always had feet issues and has very narrow feet. I told her, I hadn't heard Vaneli in years!

hcbm thanked OllieJane
  • marilyn_watto
    last year

I am downsizing my shoe collection as part of a move into a smaller home. I wear Stuart Weitzman size 8.5 AA and AAA. I would like to sell a large number of shoes in all sorts of styles and heights. I found this post from a Google search but see it was from 5 years ago. Hopefully this is read by someone who loves shoes and wears the same size. LMK.

hcbm thanked marilyn_watto
  • Eve
    last year

Hi I have the same problem. I wear SW also hit in Europe they don’t do the width fittings only in the US which is so disappointing 🥲 I had some ferragamo too in the past but they stopped. The original Audrey was the most comfortable shoe I ever owned.

hcbm thanked Eve
  • HU-182083966
    last year

Amalfi (Italian) still makes narrow sizes.

hcbm thanked HU-182083966
  • RM
    last year

@marilyn_watto i think if you "follow me" you can message me about those 8.5 AAs you have for sale

hcbm thanked RM
  • RM
    last year

i've recently found sandals by SoftWalk that come in N

hcbm thanked RM
  • HU-394349533
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I have a 9.5 AAA size feet.. if anyone knoes of open toe wedges, let me know. no one is making slims anymore, marmi is reducing their selection,and i need dress shoes.. not sneakers or casual.

hcbm thanked HU-394349533
  • ciaobecca
    last month

I have a 6 1/2 AAAA. I was told by the sales people in both Ferragama and Stuart Weitzman that they are no longer making narrow narrow shoes. Both companies have been bought out and that explains the funky shoes both are now making.

hcbm thanked ciaobecca
  • hcbm
    Original Author
    last month

I originally started this post 6 years ago. I am sorry this is still an issue for so many. I believe it has gotten even worse. Unfortunately, the design world does not make shoes for everyone. In my opinion, if a company decided to make stylish shoes in different widths and sizes that were midlevel priced, they would have a profitable business. I am sure it wouldn't be as profitable as others but there is money to be made.

In six years I have bought several pairs of running sneakers, a pair of blue oxfords, and a lovely penny loafer from Trotters. Only the penny loafers are narrow. If I had access to stylish not frumpy choices I would have bought more. My 10-year-old black trouser flats with a rubber sole have split across the bottom of the ball of the foot. The leather still looks brand new. My amazing shoemaker said it was $60 to replace the soles and I should just buy new shoes. Well, I am replacing the soles as I can't find anything that fits and I like.

Everyone has struggles and in the scheme of things, this is annoying but not life-threatening.

• Nancy Levine
    29 days ago

Munro, Stuart Weitzman, Marmi, and , occasionally, Ecco fit my AA, quad A heel very well. I can rarely get anything at a shoe sale, but at least I can usually find shoes at the above retailers. For some reason, even brands which make narrows, rarely have them in the stores. I almost always have to order on line.

hcbm thanked Nancy Levine
  • Nancy Levine
    29 days ago

One more suggestion is the Maryland Square catalog. Most styles are available in narrows and some in slims.

hcbm thanked Nancy Levine
Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County