SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_corkwell

Husband v. Wife - coordinating flooring with wood trim. HELP US PLEASE

Sara Sota
6 years ago

So. My hubby and I have been going back and forth on this for several years.

We currently have carpet and tile flooring which needs replaced. The tile breaks up the traffic patterns of our home into strangeness. The carpet is hard to keep clean with lots of kiddos. We have systematically been swapping out our "wet" areas with a boardwalk wood-look tile that we love {see below photo right}.

I should mention we have wood trim & doors. The color is called Paprika. We are not painting the wood. We shall not. Stop trying to make us. Stop it.

The trim isn't the issue, the flooring choice is. We are ready to replace the remaining flooring, but cannot decide.

• I (the wife), would prefer to use a coordinating wood-like tile and some comfy rugs. Chief needs are no-water-worry and cleaning ease.
  • He (the husband), wants to go real hardwood or wood-look laminate (think PergoOutlast+). His needs are warmth and DIY installation.

EVEN IF we compromise and come to an agreement on a material - there is still the color problem. How to make nice with that practically red Paprika trim. Still not painting it. But toning down the red would be a plus.

Here's what we know:

-we like wide planks

-we like matte finish

-that's about it.

Should we choose a whitewashed wood {see above photo left}? Go au naturel? Or something in-between?

Any advice or opinions are welcome.

This is PergoOutlast+ in Rustic Wood {see above}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County