SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_thebloodaxe

Confounding tomato problem! Need help please.

Amy
6 years ago

Brand new gardener in need of some expert tomato help! I have several varieties of tomato in my garden, with one heirloom growing in the center. Unfortunately, the heirloom quickly started showing signs of Septoria or Early Blight (I think). I cut away as much foliage as I could justify (the entire plant is infected) without sun-scalding the existing fruit too badly. A a preventative measure, I started spraying all of my tomatoes with copper fungicide.

I see what I think is more leaf spot on two of the neighboring tomato plants (Better Boy and Early Girl), so I have been cutting the affected leaves as they show up. Because the fruit hasn’t been affected, I assumed it was Septoria. The problem I am having now, is that any new flowers (and the attached stems) get brown spots and fall off without growing new fruit. I haven’t had any new tomatoes on the plants in about two weeks, :(. It’s not an issue of pollination, as I have to wade through a sea of bees to get near them.

I am going to buy a soil test because I’ve begun to suspect a calcium deficiency, but I have not seen any blossom end rot and I used soil formulated for vegetable gardening when I planted (and water with tomato food every 2-3 weeks). The plants on the other side of the heirloom, the Lemon Boys, seem to be doing the best, but I still haven’t seen any new tomatoes (although no stem/flower browning).

Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss if the soil test comes back fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Current issue: brown stem spots and dying flowers

Flowers die whether or not the plant leaves have signs of leaf spot

Brown stem spots are only on stems containing fruit or flowers

So far the fruit seems unaffected by the stem browning

What's left of the heirloom (whom I may not be justified in blaming for all of my woe)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!