SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmoraleda

Painting wood paneling

cmoraleda
6 years ago

Hi All, this is our library. When I am not in the room and looking at home magazines I want to paint it off white. When I am in the room I think it would be a shame to paint the character of the wood panel. Any thoughts out there? Your input would be much appreciated!

Comments (41)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    6 years ago

The wood paneling is nice but lacks the character of a vintage library - the wood isn't dark enough to invoke a sense of age and isn't really light enough to invoke a feeling of contemporary. Once painted it will be hard to return it to it's original condition. My suggestion is to get a couple of cabinet doors or furniture grade plywood panels, have them finished in several finishes/colors, put those in the room (leaned up against the existing cabinet doors or temporarily replace a couple of the existing cabinet doors) and just live with it for a while. If you really like the new finish then go ahead and have all the paneling/woodwork done. Best of luck!

cmoraleda thanked Norwood Architects
  • Related Discussions

Painting wood paneling

Q

Comments (2)
    I am in the process of painting my paneling. I just finished priming it with a SW primer. I wiped it down first with a deglosser. It is a pain getting it in all the grooves but it is possible. What did you need to know?
    ...See More

Painting Wood Paneling

Q

Comments (2)
    I used BIN downstairs in our family-room a few years ago. I'd rather smell the Alcohol/Shellac mix of BIN than most Oil primers!! >>> Get a small box fan propped in a window blowing OUT. * Have a couple other windows cracked too for cross-venting. * Yes, a good Latex stainblocker like Zinssers' 123, Gliddens' Gripper, ACE's Stain-Halt, or C2-One primer; will do well too. * Apply a good full coat though! * Don't push a roller-load ANY further than a 3'x3' area! Preferably a 2'x3'. Faron
    ...See More

Suggestions for painting wood panels

Q

Comments (4)
    depends on the panelling - if it's picture-of-wood on masonite, primer will save you a bundle because it will keep the panelling from sucking up five times its weight in paint. if it's actual wood, the heavier the finish on it, the more a primer would serve. if it's finished so heavily that the grain is obscured, scuffing the whole wall with a 3M pad before priming wouldn't be a bad idea. if it's 70's vintage knotty pine...this is a place where I cheat like hell, and 'prime' the knots with automotive spray prime, then prime over the whole thing. can you tell I'm a fan of prime? the 'best' way to paint also depends on the sort of panelling, but in general, a smooth-nap roller and a 2" angled trim brush are your best bets.
    ...See More

Painting wood paneling

Q

Comments (16)
    Really depends on what you like, how you want the space to feel and your budget and energy for the space. Painting is one option; another is whitewashing the panels. Btw, if this is the sort of thing you care about, I'm spotting more and more wood-panelled rooms in decorating magazines these days. Solid wood walls can provide a warm coziness to a room and I'd be inclined to keep them (or some?) in a lake cabin as long as they didn't compete with the flooring or suck out the light from the rooms. The furniture pieces would need to be light for airiness and contrast. (I'm quite fond of warm wood paired with white.) Agree with Patricia that your space could probably use more lighting. Here are some panelled rooms for inspiration. Just to give you colour palette ideas. And here's an Elle Decor slideshow on rustic living rooms with many of them featuring wood panelling. A Style at Home feature on a wood-panelled cabin. Muskoka cottage Scroll down to the office with cypress walls in this House Beautiful feature on a Bahamian house Matthew Carter did for another take on wood-panelled walls. These walls are much lighter than yours but still, it's a modern nod to vintage rec rooms. Good luck with your decision!
    ...See More
  • mom2sulu
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Personally, I love this room and would just tweak it. I would definitely not go lighter at all. I would either stain a bit darker or if I were to paint, I would pick a rich, dark historic color to continue the moody ambience.

Amazing room though! I LOVE it and your personal items are very nice.

cmoraleda thanked mom2sulu
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

I agree with Pal. This style would not be one I would choose, but I can appreciate the old world workmanship of a room like this.

That said, Maybe it can use some tweaking without painting.

I don't know your age. To me, this looks like a room for the "older" men to retire to for their after dinner scotches and brandies.

What to do now: change out the chandy. Something a bit more casual than crystals.

I see you do have pieces of art etc, but I would place things differently.

I would change the picture over the fireplace to a painting, something to draw the eye there. Yours has the glare from the glass and it doesn't have much color.

Some interesting cushions on the sofas.

This is a really nice space. It just feels drab.

How long have you lived with it this way? You will know when or if it is time to paint the wood or remodel.

cmoraleda thanked eld6161
  • deegw
    6 years ago

I like your room and wouldn't paint it. I would consider painting if it was a dark room but your room looks light and airy. Has the wood been cleaned and polished recently? You could rework your shelves and add some brighter accessories and pillows. The sets of books lined up on the wall look a bit stuffy. Clean, polished wood, bookcase changes and new accessories would freshen up the room quite a bit.

cmoraleda thanked deegw
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

IMO it's refreshing to have a room in the home that has a different ambiance for some respite. I would not paint the woodwork, & I like your furnishings, but I would change out that lovely chandelier & sconces in order to zhuzh up the room.

cmoraleda thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Furniture Re-born
    6 years ago

To me, the paneling has a mid-century vibe. I would change out the light fixtures and get some mid-century inspired furniture.

cmoraleda thanked Furniture Re-born
  • cmoraleda
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much all for your comments. I really appreciate it. It's a constant debate between my wife and I with this room. Well one sided debate cause she does not really mind how it looks. We have lived in the house for 2 years. I'll look at changing the furniture. BTW This is the Dining room... again any ideas welcomed It has been a bit of hit and miss with the house and it's more trial and error really with furniture etc

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Not paint - stain/refinish maybe, if you must. Yeah, would be a huge job but even painting (prep, etc.) would be no walk in the park either and preserving the character of the wood would be well worth the extra effort. No, its not a grand circa 1900 panelled library, but a good solid room in its own right. Even what was considered ordinary wood of 50-70 yrs ago is by todays standards, much better quality.

Otherwise, agree that changing up some of the other elements would be a more satisfying change. I think the feeling you get in the room is telling you something!

cmoraleda thanked Debbie Downer
  • deegw
    6 years ago

You've only lived there for two years? The decor has a very nice vibe that usually takes years to accomplish.

cmoraleda thanked deegw
  • amykath
    6 years ago

I love both rooms and would not touch the wood. It is interesting, cozy and beautiful!

cmoraleda thanked amykath
  • Bonnie
    6 years ago

Stop looking at home magazines! They tend to be trendy. What you have is lovely, both rooms exude old world charm. I wouldn't paint the wood.

cmoraleda thanked Bonnie
  • acm
    6 years ago

I'm often a big painter, but I wouldn't touch that library. Trust your own feeling when you're in the room, not when you're thinking about it -- I agree with others that it looks long lived-in, full of personality, and very welcoming. Paint anything and it's a completely different, anodine space!

cmoraleda thanked acm
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

acm, I give up. What is an anodine space?

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I can now see why your eyes need a change. Are there any rooms in this home that are not wood panelling?

That said, I really like the dining room. Not a fan of all the decorations on the wall. I would rather see paintings.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

I think what you have is beautiful and I wouldn't paint it. Lovely rooms!

• acm
    6 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner misspelled, apparently. %^)

anodyne: "watered-down, insipid" -- more numbing than comforting

• laughablemoments
    6 years ago

Anodine: Trivial, insignificant (I had to look it up.)

How and when do you primarily use this space? Is it your only sitting area? How does it make you feel when you are sitting in there? As lovely and cozy as the wood is in its present state, if you use it mostly in the daytime and crave more of a light and airy feeling, if it drags you down and makes you feel dull or depressed, if you feel suffocated, or like you want to run from a dark oppressive cave, then yes, paint it! But, if you feel embraced, soothed, relaxed, warmly welcomed, and like you could hunker down into the snuggly couches, so relaxed that you never want to leave, then don't paint it. Pay attention to how different rooms make you feel (light, dark, etc.), and let that help give you a sense of what to do. It is not a sin to paint wood, nor is it a sin to leave it alone.

cmoraleda thanked laughablemoments
  • acm
    6 years ago

oh, for what it's worth, I think I *would* paint in the dining room, if you're considering that. the paneling doesn't offend me, but it also doesn't do much for me in that pale color, so I'd treat it like wainscotting, either by painting it all or by cutting it down, painting it, and painting a contrasting color above. but it also goes well with your look and art, so no rush until you get a serious wind of Something Needs Doing! :) better there than in the library!

cmoraleda thanked acm
  • roarah
    6 years ago

A library should be dark paneled wood! It is perfect in my mind as it is! I also adore your dining room.

cmoraleda thanked roarah
  • cawaps
    6 years ago

Which should get more weight:

• A. What you think when you look at staged, professionally lit, professionally photographed rooms in home magazines; or
    • B. What you think when you are standing in the actual room, with your actual lighting, and everyday furnishings.

That sound like a no-brainer to me, but since your are asking, the answer is B. Definitely B!

cmoraleda thanked cawaps
  • cmoraleda
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. I hope my wife does not read this forum, cause I will get the "see I told you I was right not painting the room". I do think sometimes the paneling can be overwhelming but it's all good I guess. The paneling is also in the foyer and the drawing/sitting room, so yeah it's a lot of wood! The rest of the house is not paneled. I would say 50% of house is paneled, bedrooms, kitchen, sunroom are all painted. Thanks again, and I like to think I'm young. 39 years old, but I do like the old world charm.

• User
    6 years ago

I would not change a thing about the room. Not. One. Thing.

I am quite intrigued by your décor. You have mixed some tribal items with traditional furnishings, and that is what I have done in my own home. I would love to see more of your home if you'd like to share. You have done a beautiful job of creating spaces that have real character and look as though they have been collected over time. (I agree with the poster above who said to stop looking at home décor magazines! They exist to sell you things. Keep doing what you're doing with your décor, because it definitely works!)

cmoraleda thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

I would line behind the bookshelves with either a pale or an intense colored cloth, or even wallpaper. it would add some interest but leave the panelling intact.

cmoraleda thanked User
  • gsciencechick
    6 years ago

I assume this is a historical/older home. It's fabulous! No, I would not paint either.

We have knotty pine in the kitchen that had been painted by a PO, so we have kept it painted. It looks nice in a creamy white, but I'd really prefer the warmness of the wood.

cmoraleda thanked gsciencechick
  • cmoraleda
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's our bedroom. So it's a nice contrast without seeing any wood panelling!

• User
    6 years ago

I would not change anything. A library needs to be darker, with good reading lamps. By the way, I have serious house envy for your home! I love all the character it has.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

The bedroom would be a nice place to move the chandelier.

• User
    6 years ago

My goodness, your bedroom is enormous! It's gorgeous, and those wood floors are to die for!

• elohbee
    6 years ago

I agree! The house is beautiful and the paneling fits it perfectly--not at all the dated paneling I expected to see. If it were me, I'd consider swapping some of the art for more colorful pieces (I love the landscape above the leather couch) and swapping some light fixtures (but I'm just not a crystal chandelier kind of person).

cmoraleda thanked elohbee
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Love your library and the look of the current furniture. Looks like good places to curl up with a book. Mid-century furniture, IMO, would not be library appropriate in that it would not be welcoming one to curl up with a good book or magazine or newspaper to read.

As far as the dining room, again IMO, the baskets need to be removed. They do not enhance the dining room in any way.

cmoraleda thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • User
    6 years ago

I was just coming back to this thread to ask specifically about those baskets! I have to disagree with the comment above. I love the baskets on the dining room walls, and think they totally personalize the space. I think the room would feel too staid without them. They are unexpected, and they say something about you and your life. Can you tell us more about them? Are they African?

(I collect Native American baskets, and have recently become enamored of Wounaan-Embera baskets from the Darien Province in Panama. I've got a couple of African pieces in my collection too. I cannot get enough of tribal/indigenous basketry!)

cmoraleda thanked User
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I like dark wood paneled rooms. I like your library very much, however there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Here is a link to the Belgian Pearls blog by Greet Lefevre http://www.belgianpearls.be/traditional-panelling-is-hot/. She shows many paneled rooms, most of them painted, some not.

ETA I vote to keep the library as is. Maybe paint some other room with a lot of wood.

cmoraleda thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • deegw
    6 years ago

jen, I love the baskets too. They are a nice contrast to all the traditional elements in the room. I think if the baskets were removed the room would look nice but too staid.

cmoraleda thanked deegw
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

I love the baskets, too. Just not on the dining room walls. We each like different things and that is the way it should be.

cmoraleda thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • cat_ky
    6 years ago

Its beautiful, and no, I wouldnt change anything either. The chandy, looks like it belongs there, and I sure wouldnt be changing that. It is gorgeous. I do understand, that a lot of wood can be depressing, but, I think the color of yours, isnt a depressing dark color.

cmoraleda thanked cat_ky
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I think it's nice to see some bright modern art in contrast to a very traditional house. The tension between the two styles enlivens the space.

ETA I don't love these pieces below for your space exactly- I wanted something brighter and lighter- but this is all I could find in a hurry. Just an idea of what I mean.

cmoraleda thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I think it's lovely and would not paint it. In the DR, I'd consider new dining room table - it just doesn't go with the rest of the house. I'd also change the curtains in there - they need to have more presence. Other than that, it's a very lovely home.

cmoraleda thanked Anglophilia
  • Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Inspired by the baskets and drums, I googled "midcentury modern tribal". (view images.) Apparently it's a thing!

cmoraleda thanked Debbie Downer
  • tuesday_2008
    6 years ago

I would not paint the wood..I love it. I think a beautiful oriental style rug in rich jewel tones would look great in the library. Perhaps some tweaking to the bookshelves with some lighter accessories even though I like the sets of books. I would change out the art over the fireplace with something in more vibrant colors.

The dining room needs a nicer drape, those are not suiting the formality of the room.

Your foyer is perfection...love the lighting in there and that gorgeous rug.

The living room is the room that looks too dark..could be more in the photo. I am thinking that it is the dark leather on the dark rug with the dark wood table. I am sure someone with more expertise than I could make some suggestions there..

cmoraleda thanked tuesday_2008
  • cmoraleda
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi All, thanks for the feedback. I spent the day incorporating your feedback. I'm really glad most of the feedback is not to paint so that's a relief. Changes I made; Library I changed the art, dining room I changed the art, piano room I moved the baskets here and changed with art from dining room. Out of folks interest, I posted pic of the staircase with African masks, since there were interst in African art. The masks are from Ivory Coast called Guro masks. Thanks again all!