SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fallmists

Need advice on water softener

fallmists
6 years ago

I'm a complete newbie to water softening but have been reading threads on here like mad, trying to learn so I can help my parents decide on a water softener for their house. They're not technically inclined so they're going to go with a pro, but I want to make sure they're not getting suckered.

Here's the data I have from tests on their water:

hardness: 22 gpg

pH: 7.0

iron 0

TDS: 365 prm

chlorine: 2 ppm

I'm not impressed by the stats of the RO/carbon systems recommended by the water softener dealers vs others I've found online (multipure and aquapure) so I'm pretty sure we will get a standalone RO+carbon filter setup for their drinking/cooking water to remove contaminants and excess salt (dad has high blood pressure).

However evaluating water softeners is far outside my wheelhouse of experience so any advice or guidance of where to start would be helpful! Parents' water usage varies considerably from week to week depending on whether they're at home or not and we'd like to be generally environmentally-conscious, so it seems like a system that only runs a regeneration cycle when needed based on actual usage would be preferable?

The local Evolve rep recommended:

Evolve EVRC-1054 (split tank)

1 cu ft of resin

0.5 cu ft carbon

capacity: "28,400 @ 9"

Comments (6)