SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shafer97201

Advice on Water Softeners

10 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have tried to read everything I can find about water softeners. I have moderately hard water at about 6 grain per gallon (leaves white stains on everything). Water is municipal water, chlorinated at about .2-.5 ppm. I have gotten quotes from Kinetico, Ecowater, and Culligan. I am not going to "do it myself." I have eliminated Culligan. I am looking at the Kinetico S250 Premier or the Ecowater 3500R. I understand some of the pros and cons of each. I believe the Ecowater removes chlorine within the system, Kinetico would require a pre-filter. I understand chlorine can reduce the life of the resin, but at the low level I have I am thinking it is not worth spending hundreds on a pre-filter. Both have good warranties. Anyone have any experience/advice or which is better?

I also don't think I can bypass one of my outdoor hoses in the front due to where it comes off the water line (right before the water heater and then it goes up into the ceiling of the garage to the outside wall-the water main is under the house..). That is pushing me to believe I need to you potassium chloride instead of salt as I may need to occasionally water plants with the hose-I understand sodium may hurt plants. Any thoughts? Or should I stay with salt due to the low cost and run a new hose line to the other side of the house but also in the front?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comment (1)