SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blessingsmom_oneonefive

my first cymbidium. I'm stressing out!

I'm not new to orchids but have only grown phals until now. I've only used sphagnum moss and semi water culture before, I just purchased my first cymbidium by mail from a reputable dealer and it came bare root so needs asap rooting. I put it with roots in a plastic bag with damp fir based orchid mix while I sort out what to do with potting. The roots and the rest are in wonderful health. There are no orchid supply places around here so I had to get my orchid mix and a pot from regular nurseries with not much for orchids. The only orchid mix I could find around here was a mix of all sizes of fir bark so I was going to use the small and medium pieces only. I suddenly have several questions about potting it despite tons of stuff I read here and on google. So....

(1) The seller said it was in a 2 inch pot. They accidently sent me a 2 growth instead of NBS as I ordered so he suggests a 5 inch pot. I read that Cymbidiums like a deeper pot because their roots like to grow down. But the only 5 inch pots I am finding are only 5 inches deep. With the psuedobulb 1/4 to 1/3 covered and the roots as they are growing (straight down) the roots will nearly touch the bottom of the pot. I read that if cymbidium roots are touching the pots bottom it will hamper growth as cymbidiums don't like that. I do have a 6 inch pot that is 6 3/4 inches deep but I worry that the bark might stay too wet with such a big pot. Or don't I need to worry about that with bark for a medium? According to some sources I have read these orchids need a 3 to 4 inch increase in pot size with repots to make room for new growth. I am more comfortable with the added root room in the 6 inch pots but am wondering if the 6 inch pot would cause the bark to stay too wet. Any thoughts or opinions?

(2) The 5 inch pot has a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom. The 6 inch pot has six 1 inch by 1/2 inch holes around the very bottom of the side of the pot and therefore none on actual bottom. Two questions: How do I keep the orchid bark from blocking the hole on whatever pot I end up using (The medium sized pieces are about 3/4 inches across)? Also what could I do to keep the charcoal, perlite, and smaller fir pieces from falling out the holes?

Sorry this is so long.

Comments (4)