SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dale_suffridge

After home tune-up, JD L120 won't start. Just one click, once.

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

After watching multiple videos, I felt confident enough to do a home tune-up on my John Deere L120 lawn tractor.

I got the home tune-up kit from my local dealer. I had changed the fuel filter less than a month before, and it had run well since. So I didn't need to change the fuel filter during this tuneup. I saved the kit's fuel filter for later in the year.

For the tune-up, I drained the oil and changed out the air filter. Then when all the oil was out, I changed the oil filter. Then I tackled the spark plugs.

I did not have a spark plug gap tool, but assumed that the plugs in the kit were set for my model. (This may be where the problem is).

When I reset the new plugs (no cross-threading or over-tightening) and the cap wires clicked back in place, I tried to crank the engine. All I heard was ONE CLICK. Then nothing. Every subsequent time I tried to turn the engine, there were NO CLICKS. Nothing.

The brake is engaged. All is ready for a start. Nothing.

I did not disconnect the battery to change out the plugs. Could something have shorted?

I did not have a spark plug gap tool. But even if the gap was wrong, wouldn't it at least TRY to start and not just be silent?

Just in case I had actually overtightened and done some damage to the end of the spark plug, I pulled them back out to inspect. Both seemed fine.

I am at a loss, and no YouTube or Google search has been able to help me.
Besides some slight sputtering, the engine was running fine before the tune-up.

Any thoughts on what to do differently? What to check from here? Thanks so much!

Comments (5)