SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Coverlet and pillow layover 2 different colors

Any way to make these crochet pieces match in color?

I have a large, lacy crochet piece I’ve been using for a summer coverlet on my bed. It’s not quite large enough to cover the pillows when I make my bed, though. After a couple of years of looking, I finally found a piece in a matching pattern to use as a pillow overlay. The scale is a little smaller, but I am sure this is as good as it’s going to get, so I bought it.

The colors are different, though. The new piece (shown on the right) is a classic light beige or ecru. I photographed these against navy blue so you could see the colors better.

The older larger piece that I use for the coverlet (shown at the left) is actually a light yellow. When I bought that one and commented on the color and that I didn’t like the yellow, the mall proprietor suggested that it had been washed in iron-containing water. He suggested buying some “Iron Out” and washing in that. I have not done so… yet. I really don’t know what a piece would look like if it had iron in it, so I can’t say whether I think this color is right for that to be the case or not.

Could it be from starch? If I look really closely I think (imagine? ) that the color is lighter in some parts. Not overall, just some fibers within each motif. Maybe it was just crocheted in a very pale watery yellow: though that seems an odd color for crochet cotton to me.

Ideally, I’d like them both to be ecru.

Neither has any stains or damage at all. I thought of first soaking the coverlet in denture cleaner (sodium perborate) or oxyclean. See if the yellow comes out. Then if it turns out white, tea dying it to be ecru.

What would you do? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (26)