SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Pattern sizes vs. ready to wear sizes

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I could use some advice on commercial pattern sizing …

I decided I needed to make some lightweight sleeveless cotton shirts, as I couldn’t find 100% cotton in the stores. I need to look nice but still be cool, as I sell my work outdoors at art fairs all summer.

I have not sewn any clothing in at least 25 years, though I have kept my hand in with other projects, mostly household; draperies, etc. I’d call my skills intermediate. When I still made clothing I did some pretty complicated things like dress blazers with linings.

So it’s been a long time since I bought patterns. I used to just buy what ever size I was. Patterns didn’t come in 5+ sizes printed on one sheet then. But that was 25 years and the same number of pounds ago.

I bought 3. All are for sleeveless blouses / shirts, 2 fitted with front and back darts, one flowy. I was all ready to lay out and start cutting yesterday, when I read the sizes on the packages.

In ready to wear I wear a 12 to 14 or a Large, sometimes a medium depending on the darts. I am small busted but have a large back and shoulders. I am bigger at the waist and hips but figure that’s not relevant for doing tops only.

When I checked the sizes on these patterns, according to the bust size on the fitted New Look pattern, I am an 18! I would swim in a ready to wear 18. In the flowy McCalls pattern I am a 20! The 6 panel fitted Burda pattern lists sizes but no body measurements, so I don’t know what to think with that one.

What do I do? I don’t want to waste time and fabric cutting out the largest size then have to take it all down. I might not even have enough fabric to cut out the largest size. I bought yardage based on being in the middle of the range, not the largest.

I thought of laying a shirt that fits well on top of the patterns and seeing where it falls, taking seam allowances and darts into consideration. Then choose the size I cut out based on that.

What do you think? Thanks for your advice.

Comments (9)