SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dara_gardener

Hardy Geraniums Versus Heat and Drought

I have quite a few varieties of hardy geraniums in my garden. They adapt well to varying light levels which my space is notorious for. The problem is summer drought. Right now we are in the third month of drought with some daytime temperatures reaching 94 degrees F. I try to keep up with watering, but the ground is very fast draining. What happens to the geraniums is they collapse in the center. There are flowers at the ends of branches along with leaves. However this looks horribly messy. I cut them back to the base of the plant. This removes everything. It is a lot of work.

So now I'm tempted to toss out all my hardy geraniums! What is the purpose if you don't have a plant anyhow? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Brookside and Wargrave's Pink are two that do this. There's a tall growing variety called 'Nancy'? that sprawls too. The G. cinereum types like Ballerina don't sprawl. However they don't flower either. I'm not at all fond of these types.

The G. macrorrhixum types stay reasonably neat, but only flower once a year in late spring. They're okay for leaf texture in the garden as I don't have to cut them so drastically back. The best for my space is G. Thurstonianum. I like the flowers and the plant doesn't sprawl as much as the others do.

What can be done?

Comments (16)

Sponsored