Drought tolerant Geraniums? .

luxrosa
14 years ago

I've read, on the Internet, that

-Geranium machrorhizom

- 'Ivy leaved geraniums"

-'Rozanne' a hybrid geranium.

are all drought tolerant.

Could anyone add information, such as how rarely they water those geraniums in their climate, or give comments about these claims?

Although'Rozanne', has been mentioned on the Internet as being a plant that is 'heat tolerant and drought tolerant'. I am a bit wary of that last claim because there was no documentation to confirm this statement and it may be possible that the person who wrote that, who appeared to not posess any horticultural credentials, could have been confused in thinking that any plant that can tolerate heat, could tolerate drought.

Is there a list of low-water, or drought tolerant geraniums, written by a source with good horticultural credentials?

I'm hoping to xeriscape with a few geraniums, in a low-water garden, near San Francisco, Ca, where summer day temps are usually in the 70's to mid-80's F.

The geraniums could be shaded on their southern side by Old Roses, and beside Old fashioned cultivars of bearded iris and pinks, with several thymes, and lavender.

There is a deep covering of mulch, over the entire garden, 5 inches deep, which slows evaporation.

Thanks very much,

Luxrosa

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor