SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariebeck

how to add privacy to a bathroom barn door

mariebeck
6 years ago

We have a bathroom barn door in our bunk room shower room.

For privacy it does have a lock, but opposite side of the door has quite a wide gap in which one can see into part of the shower bathroom if standing in the right location.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Comments (40)

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    Or, not worry about it. If it's really freaking you out, and you don't want to replace the door, hang a washable curtain on the bathroom side that can be closed to cover the door plus gap, for anyone who wants more privacy.
  • Related Discussions

Barn door for a bathroom? Please share your pictures

Q

Comments (20)
    Just one point about installing a pocket door where the spaces between the thin little studs are backed up with a sheet of plywood behind the drywall. You can also skip the drywall entirely and cover directly with plywood right from the get-go. Nobody would have a problem finishing that surface, neither with stain and lacquer, or with a skim coat of mud. Solves any base trim problems too, especially for amateurs with no special equipment like nailers and such. Good plywood, maybe even veneered, but not OSB or MDF.
    ...See More

Barn Door for Bathroom, the "Sound" Factor

Q

Comments (2)
    My experience with barn doors and bathrooms is lots of sound escaping. I have no suggestions to mitigate that. In my tiny bathroom I went to a swing out door even though it's in a traffic path. We keep the door closed 95% of the time. This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 14:32
    ...See More

Do pocket doors provide sound privacy fir bathrooms?

Q

Comments (27)
    Green glue sound proofing Sound transmission is a partially a function of density. Cast iron vent / sewer pipe really helps. Also you could use two layers of sheet rock with green glue To quote their web page: "A lot of people wonder how a simple layer of Green Glue Noiseproofing Compoundis so effective at dissipating noise. To understand the science behind the compound you need to understand a little about the energy of sound waves and how they travel. Noise travels through the air like a wave or an airborne vibration. When these waves hit a ceiling or wall, the vibrations will pass through the structure and exit through the other side as sound again. That is, unless the structure is damped. Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound has a unique polymeric formula that converts the mechanical energy from sound waves into small amounts of heat. When the compound is sandwiched between two rigid layers of material (like drywall), it forms a damping system. So, when sound waves pass through the structure, the energy is dissipated in the form of heat. The result is dramatic - just one layer of Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound in between two sheets of drywall can eliminate up to 90 percent of noise, even at low frequencies."
    ...See More

Bathroom Barn Door suggestions appreciated!

Q

Comments (27)
    Beth H, thank you for the examples and the comment! I do like the dark wood very much but we are also replacing closet doors and I am unsure if they 'should' match (they usually do to an extent it seems) I created another topic for the bedroom closet with pictures or 'before' and 'after'. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bedroom-closet-door-suggestions-appreciated-dsvw-vd~5037805?n=12 I like the dark wood with the frosted glass. But if we went that way, I'd want the glass to be more opaque than what we had to start with. Thanks again! Mark
    ...See More
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I was never very fond of barn doors. Unless you have a very rustic house or actually live in a barn they look like a DIY cheap way out of not putting on a real door. I would replace with a pocket door if you don't have the clearance for a swing door.

• PRO
    Michael Kieley Design Studio
    6 years ago

Yes, it's a fashion that I think is being overused. An extended custom jamb can improve things. Recessed jambs maybe, but you're talking about a lot of effort to make it work. I guess I would consider that if a swing door's sweep didn't function well, and a pocket door isn't feasible due to something like a shear wall. recessed door gasket

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

I would recommend getting a new doors, barn doors aren't really meant for bathrooms and are never going to give you the privacy of a standard prehung door on a jamb or a pocket door.

• sm m
    6 years ago
    I would replace with a regular door- I can't ever get our pocket doors in our bathroom to shut correctly.
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

If the doors are wide enough to cover the opening completely, you can put a "stop" on one end so the door can't over-shoot the opening.

• Momof5x
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Some people add frames to the doorway sides. and other use special fillers. It depends where the gap is? Also, you could add a hook type lock to the barn door.

• plan2remodel
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

When my barn door was installed, there was a gap on one side. Basically, the contractor screwed up: wrong size track was installed and the door was "overshooting" the opening. Fixed by replacing the track with a shorter track. "Before" pics below with track that was too long. When the door was fully closed (toward the left), it created a gap on the right-hand side of the opening. That is, the door is exactly the correct size to fill the opening but needed to stop before it reached the "stop" on the track that was too long. Barn door company did not sell extra "stops," so only option was to replace the track. Note: track should be twice the width of the door. I have a 32" door and the 1st track was 6 ft long. I needed a 5'4" track. Oh, yeah, they sent a 54" track on the 2nd try. Got it right on the 3rd try. The barn door was custom-made and cost 5 times the price of a swing door - hardly a "cheap" option. Other than that, I love this door!

In the 1st pic below, doorway is closed, but door has not yet reached the "stop"

• lesleycurl
    6 years ago

Non-pro here. "Barn door" and "bathroom" are diametrically opposed design-wise. Barn doors work great in barns with farm animals that don't care about bathroom privacy and maybe for pantries in kitchens for people looking to update to the latest trend.

• tdee56
    6 years ago

Late with my opinion, so over the barn door thing. I think that boat has sailed along with that trend. Sorry Magnolia Farms! Find a new horse, that one's been beat to death.

• powellan5
    6 years ago

I am one of those people debating a bathroom barn door or not. In my bathroom I'm considering it because I cannot easily retro fit a pocket door and removing the door swing into the bathroom will allow my to get a double sink in there which we need. I disagree that it is out of style, I think it is still very much in style and practical in certain situations like what I'm considering. It just needs to be installed right and it sounds like yours was not. It sounds like either the door slab is under sized or you are in need of a door stop

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Our not so big master bath had three swinging doors originally! We wanted to keep doors for the separate toilet/shower area and the walk in closet. The open part of the room contains our 60" vanity with two sinks and a soak tub. This is what we came up with.

Small gap for the barn doors, but not even on the register for comparison to not have swinging doors and we had not one wall for pocket door(s). We went without locks on the doors, couldn't figure it out. That's obscure glass in the doors, wanted to keep the light coming into small spaces. Also, we usually have one or two towels on those rods on the doors and it doubles for privacy! Those ferns there will grow down to obscure sight lines. Consider a narrow cabinet or greenery for that purpose and the gaps may "disappear".

• Shark Licker200
    5 years ago

I disagree with most of the posters here about barn doors and bathrooms. Sometimes, it the right design decision for flow and practical space operations. That said. I am fabbing up a piece of stainless that will cover the most visible part of the gap, the thickness of the door and overhang the both edges by about 3/8". This will act as a visual screen and a door pull.

Elegant solution and peeping little boys confounded.

• HU-574430742
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@SharkLicker200...Would definitely appreciate some more info on your solution. Perhaps a few pics? Thanks.

• User
    5 years ago

The best solution to fixing the privacy issue of a barn door is hinges.

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    my husband and I stayed in a hotel room last werk with a barn style bathroom door. we both remarked about the lack of privacy. not that it matters to us, but thought it a strange option in a modern style room.
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    5 years ago

YES!! @SHARK LICKER200, PHOTOS OR SKETCH PLEASE!

• Evan Zamir
    4 years ago

Why are people so concerned about privacy? If you're using a bathroom in your own home, are you worried about strangers coming into your house and finding you in the bathroom? Privacy concerns seem overblown to me.

• Belahn
    4 years ago

We had barn doors in the 70s. I didn't realize it was a "trend".

• Lorrie H
    4 years ago

Stayed at a hotel in NYC with a barn door on the bathroom. It locked , no gaps and no problem. The doorway was framed with wood and had a channel, when you shut the door it could be locked. It was almost an entire framed unit that fit on the wall and the door slid back and forth like a typical barn door. Unfortunately I can’t find a photo.

• Lorrie H
    4 years ago

OK, I found a similar door on a commercial barn door site . I think this takes care of the privacy issue https://specadsystems.com/examslide/

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Sure as long as you do not mind the sterile, medical look and the $5k minimum price...........................

• Lorrie H
    4 years ago

Millwork agree the example I gave was not exactly what I want in my home however the door at the boutique hotel looked nice. It solves the privacy issue

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    4 years ago

We are debating this right now as well. My bathroom is tiny and getting rid of the inswing door will make it feel much roomier, but I don't want an outswing and a pocket door is going to be a huge hassle according to my contractor. My main concern with the barn door is light, though - I frequently shower while DH is sleeping and I don't want the light to disturb him.

• beaniebakes
    4 years ago

I’m planning to install a barn door on the bathroom due to space constraints. After reading Lorrie’s post about privacy locks, I did a google search and found this web site with an interesting video.

http://www.unisonhardware.com/products/Barn-Door-Privacy-Locks/

• PRO
    Designs by JBA
    4 years ago

Thank you! An excellent solution! Will be ordering this!

• HU-368761147
    3 years ago

Wondering why nobody has mentioned simply oversizing the door ? Can't see past a door that covers an extra 6 inches all around ?

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

How many people have an empty wall they want dedicated to the slide of a huge A$$ door? Frankly seeing isn't the real issue it's sound and ventilation..one poster didn't want to wake the partner, personally I wouldn't want to be steamed awake...may as well get a folding screen to prop up when in use for all the privacy these doors give. This is an old thread...no doubt the door was replaced by now.

• jmhallaian
    2 years ago

I am planning to install a barn door over the bathroom due to space saving issues. As I am also concerned about privacy, I was planning on placing some kind of decorative wood trim as a full length “stopper” on the wall where the leading edge of the barn door will come to a close. I will overlap the bathroom opening by using a little wider door then needed. I am also planning to try using some weather stripping on the inside edge on the opposite side of the door to create a soft barrier on the wall side, between the door and the wall. I will also place a hook and eye type lock for added privacy. I don’t know if it will work yet or not, but maybe this idea will be helpful to someone else.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Three years ago the consensus of posters was this should be a dead trend...and yet it survives. 'Privacy' isn't just a visual need...there's noises, smells etc. As I read through it dawned on me if the door were bigger than the entrance but half on each side the visual privacy might be maintainable. The one tract idea sounds like a pocket door mounted on the outside. #2 DD bought a super tiny house and it's full of pocket doors and they all work just fine. And for sure there is nothing inexpensive about a barn door!!

• itcassy
    2 years ago

What a horrible comment from the “pro,” Sophie Wagner. That comment, that was shamefully marked by Houzz as the best answer, added no value and was borderline disrespectful to the post author. It is the opposite of helpful to tell the person they did it wrong and outright lazy as a “pro” to not even contemplate that there could be a solution. Kudos to the person who posted those pics where they thought of putting a plant between their 2 doors and a towel rack to help with the issue. Probably not perfect, but way better than arrogant, lazy, and useless.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

4 years old post by Sophie, and in many peoples opinion (mine as well), not incorrect then or now.

• itcassy
    2 years ago

Missed the point. Sure it’s not the preferred idea. And i have no problem with what was said to help people who are considering it as one option. But to tell someone to just get rid of it doesn’t answer the actual question. This is the ONLY solution I can think of for my handicapped mom besides a cheesy plastic accordion door and it would have been nice for the “pro” to take a minute to actually ponder the question and at least try to offer some creative ideas. And if she didn’t want to, that’s fine also, but houzz shouldn’t be pinning that as the best answer. it was just irritating

• PRO
    Design Practice
    2 years ago

I'm wondering if soft brush style draught excluders could be attached to the inside of the barn door. When it's in a closed position they fall either side of the gaps. This would surely help with privacy, odours and sound proofing without compromising on style too much. What do you think?

• Claire Richards
    last year

I agree with one of the posters above about the ridiculousness of telling someone just to get rid of the door. There are situations where the inconveniences of a barn door outweigh the inconveniences of a regular door. We have such a situation in our bathroom where a full sized door practically reaches the very small toilet and blocks the bathtub when open. It's very tight. we talked about doing "french doors" without windows, opening into the hallway but can't find any doors (yet). So... we may be stuck with barn doors as our only option as a pocket door would be much more money than we are willing to spend and might not work. For our last house, the wall was simply too small for a pocket door.

• millworkman
    last year

"we talked about doing "french doors" without windows, opening into the hallway but can't find any doors (yet)"

Visit a real lumberyard, they can order these from their millwork distributor. They all have them available with no issues.

• JANE HESTER
    last year

We just bought a house with a barn door to our bathroom and unless you want to feel like your using it in right in the living room in front of everyone in the house i would totally recomend not having one put in! i never ever use that bathroom and when we had guest all last year after the hurricane it was horrible to try and comfortably go to the bathroom! the gap is to large and even though it covers the entire opening plus goes over it is still not private at all and i hope to replace it soon! some dont care like my boyfriend, he will go in front of anyone, but not me!

• Circus Peanut
    last year

We put nice heavy brush sweeps on the edges of our garage barn door to keep out critters, and they work extremely well, they're soft, conform to the opening, provide some thermal barrier, etc. Probably not sound-proof, but it beats having to change out the whole door?

You aren't limited to hardware-store plastic styles -- you can get quite nice quality ones with real brass or stainless holders in various lengths of brushing for not that much more $$, just google around a bit for the specialty sites. Good luck!

• arcy_gw
    last year

HAHHAHA people when there is no other good suggestion but to get something different that's the advise you are going to get!! WHY oh WHY anyone thought a barn door afforded people anything more than a curtain defies logic. Do people not SEE the gaps?? Is it not true there was a door on that opening once upon a time?! Yes the sliding apparatus takes care of space issues but that is all it does. A curtain on a tension rod would do as much and as far as stylish well we would argue about that too. It is assumed switching the door to open the other way won't work either? Here's the sad truth. HGTV types keep coming up with 'new' and 'innovative' ideas so they can sell products. These FADS actually get purchased by some inexperienced cognitively deficient homeowners. Then they move on and leave the disaster to the next homeowner. No doubt all those here who have a barn door did not put it in, but you are STUCK due to the previous owner. Banging this drum again. THINK about some of the PERMENANT choices you make to your home--the person behind you will have to deal with your idea of high style and it will be a NIGHTMARE FOR THEM!: Barn Doors; painting brick; open shelving vs cupboards in a kitchen; painting cupboards fashion colors etc.