SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billy_fowler3

Should I replace a 1/4 inch lineset that should be 3/8 inch?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I had a Trane 3 ton XR17 two stage air conditioner installed in January along with a new furnace and evaporator. They used the old lineset instead of replacing it. The suction line is what it is supposed to be, but the liquid line is 1/4 inch instead of 3/8 inch. It is about ten feet from the evaporator to the condenser. Apparently back in the 80s Rheem used to use 1/4 inch liquid lines. The system had a subcooling of 18 so I removed the refrigerant till I got it to 12. The book calls for a 12 subcooling. The superheat on a 90 degree day with a 55 degree wetbulb is 9. Yes it has a TXV and yes I have the tools to check it and recover the refrigerant. The unit appears to be working fine, but it is a bit louder is first stage vs second stage. I also sometimes hear a sound of refrigerant in the wall in the back room near the unit. Should I just leave it alone or have the liquid line replace with a 3/8 inch? How much do you think it will cost? What does having a liquid line too small do with a system as far as performance?

Comments (4)