SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmfgames

HVAC system advice, repair or replace

rmfgames
6 years ago

I currently am faced with the decision of either repairing a 14 year old HP with a failed compressor or replacing the entire system.

The current system is a Carrier infinity system with a 3-ton 16 SEER HP, 3.5 Ton coil, and a 96% furnace. These are 2 stage multi-speed units and have worked well for the most part.

I am located in eastern NC with a 1960's build 1500 sqft ranch style house. Little insulation in the walls and settled insulation in the attic, I know I need to re-insulate the attic at some time. The current system did well when the house was shaded by trees, but as the trees have gone so has the shade and the system has seemed to struggle to keep up.

The cost of the repair of the current unit is around $2000.

The cost estimates for similar or higher efficiency equipment has ranged from the $10,500 to $17,000. The $10,500 estimate was for replacing with same efficiency, and to $17,000 was for a 20 SEER HP System and 95+% Gas Furnace, at 4 tons. I am leaning towards a 18 SEER with 95% Furnace, fully variable HP and furnace, at 4 ton capacity, the estimate has come in around $13,000.

I have had quotes on Trane, Amana, and Carrier. I have not been able to get responses from or they are too busy at the moment and will pass on the work.

Tried to get American Standard, Goodman dealers to reply but have not had luck.

One vendor I contacted did a load calculation manual J and came up with 3.3 tons.

I have been quite shocked at the increase in prices over the past 14 years on the equipment.

Questions,

1) Does the quote seem reasonable for the area and system sizes?

2) Would repairing the existing system make sense at all, as I was not planning for this replacement?

3) is the 4 ton system just too big, but Trane does not offer a 3.5 in these series?

4) Any other advice before I pull the trigger on this big of a purchase?

Thank you, for your time.

Comments (26)