SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kennesaw50

New Archer Strawberry variety 1st year results in SW Missouri

General
6 years ago

Archer strawberry appears to be performing better than any other strawberry variety that I have ever tried growing here in southwest Missouri (daytime high temperatures average 90 degrees from mid-July to Mid-August here in Springfield).

The Archer strawberry foliage has very little disease compared to my other varieties, including Flavorfest, which has been my most productive, most disease resistant variety for the past several years. I grow my strawberries in 4-foot wide raised beds.

I did have a severe defoliating Japanese beetle infestation while I was gone for several weeks in early July. After I arrived back home I dusted the strawberry beds with .25% pyrethrum dust twice which quickly and completely knocked out the infestation. The affected leaves died, but new flush of healthy leaves quickly grew from the base of the plants. This was unusual since my other strawberry varieties produce little new growth during the hot July weather to replace dead leaves.

This is the first year Archer plants have been available, so I have not yet harvested a full (2nd year) crop. The several dozen berries harvested this spring from the 1st year plants were very large, flavorful and mostly disease free. It may not be best as a commercial variety because of its 3 week harvest season, but it appears to be a winner for the home garden in my hot climate.

Comments (6)