SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Fence idea

hairmetal4ever
6 years ago

I’m not sure the best place to post this, so I’m putting it here.

I have a very crude, but effective, fence around my vegetable garden. I used t-posts and flexible deer netting. While it has not been breached, the netting is already showing signs of UV deterioration, and probably won’t last another season. My “gate” is basically a piece of netting attached to a t-post on one side with zip ties, and on the other side, it has a bamboo stake attached that goes into a PVC pipe pounded into the ground. Then the netting drapes over the soil in front, I stick in a few staples to seal out critters, and voila. While it *COULD* be breached by a determined animal, there’s enough other food around that, so far, they haven’t bothered.

So, this fall my plan is to put in a better fence using 6’ t-posts and welded wire fencing. The only challenge is…how do I make the gate?

It’s also important to create a “seal” at ground level, since I’m not only keeping out deer, but other critters like rabbits. This year, with the flexible netting, I just mounted it where I had a 5” “lip” I could staple to the ground. I can use landscape or railroad ties around the edge to accomplish the same thing with the welded wire (and may also re-use the netting at ground level for extra protection.

Still, that leaves the gate. I’m trying to determine how to make a gate (easy enough), but have it somehow not leave any gap at the bottom or sides where the little @%&$#* can squeeze in, as well as how to attach it to the t-posts.

Comment (1)