SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

It took a while.........duh!

Jasdip
6 years ago

We enjoy British drama shows. But some of the heavy cockney accents are tough to understand. Happy Valley (it's NOT a happy show, LOL). New Tricks as well.

Just tonite we thought to turn closed caption on. WOW, what a difference! That's what they're saying! Hahhaa.

BTW, those that watch Happy Valley, it may be renewed, it' still up in the air, but it won't be until the end of 2018 if they do another season.

Comments (14)

• Rose Pekelnicky
    6 years ago

I have been doing that for a long time. I also turn it on while watching Jeopardy in case the players don't enunciate clearly when giving their answer.

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

Be careful, closed caption can get it hilariously wrong sometimes :-)

• User
    6 years ago

I never used to have a problem with understanding heavy accents but now I have an awful time with it. Wondering if hearing loss has something to do with it?

• phyllis__mn
    6 years ago

I use closed captioning all the time duel to hearing loss. Love the British shows, but they need the captioning. I do read some funny things, though, particularly during baseball games!

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I've been using closed captioning for years, too. Sometimes, the captioning is done from the scripts and is not at all what the actors said. Sometimes, it's just the wrong words, but I can see how the captioners misunderstood what was said.

• wantoretire_did
    6 years ago

Sometimes, the CC is off- sync. If you stop it then RESUME, it usually corrects.

• joyfulguy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sometimes it's better/morefun when eye-gates and ear-gates work together.

o j

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Well, duh is right! Why didn't I think of that! I have quite a bit of hearing loss, due to age, I'm sure. Also have trouble understanding some voices, the volume can be just fine, but, to my ears, the words all run together into one long unintelligible sentence. And my hearing aids don't help that, at all! After I saw this post the other day, I turned CC on. It's really a BIG help! Only drawback is, now I can't watch TV and crochet or color at the same time. Oh well. . . ..

Thanks for posting this, Jasdip!

Rusty

• oldgardener_2009
    6 years ago

I use CC on all shows, even ones that aren't British. Loved Happy Valley, glad to hear it will continue at some point.

• User
    6 years ago

I noticed for a few years I need the closed captioning. I just don't get it call especially when the talking gets fast. I hate when a DVD has no subtitle option

• Chi
    6 years ago

I always have CC on. I find I can keep the volume lower when I do.

• katlan
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We both have some hearing loss. Him more than me. My problem is I can't hear the words over the background noise/music. We now have a small, portable, rechargeable wireless bluetooth speaker. I sync it with the tv (your tv has to have that capability) and I can hear all the words perfectly. I love it. Use it all the time. It also works with my cell phone to play music. This is the one we have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bem-Wireless-Mobile-Bluetooth-Speaker-HL2022A-WHITE-NIB-/152633965216?hash=item2389b17aa0:g:xvUAAOSwvZZZc3pH

• cynic
    6 years ago

It also comes in very handy when you're on the phone with someone going on and on and on and you want to keep up with a show and are just letting them have their rant or get something off their chest. I also use it for heavy accents. My TV has an option to turn on the closed captioning when I hit mute, otherwise it's off. That too, is handy.