SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bitmaster20

Quartz countertop seam

bitmaster20
6 years ago

We are having our kitchen remodeled and got the Silestone Altair quartz installed last week. There's a couple of places where the seam hasn't come out to our liking. Just wanted to get your opinion if we should push the matter further.

Behind the sink

The seam is not level behind the sink. As I run my finger on the seam, from the sink towards the window I can feel the right side rising up. If I take a credit card and run it on it's edge perpendicular to the seam it stops at the seam.

The countertop people are saying that 1/16" of such imperfections are acceptable. They are saying that the countertop settled after the installation because of the soft top? (plywood) and it's something beyond their control.

Seam on the edge below countertop

This one seems to be caused due to an incorrect cut.

The installer is resisting very hard to take on any blame. He's chalking it up to leveling issues with the cabinetry, inherent issues in trying to work with heavy stone etc.

So far he's offered to install the leftover quartz piece on the garden window for free. He doesn't feel that the imperfections are big enough to require a redo. He's also going to offer a discount option, but hasn't gotten back as to much it will be.

Would like to know what your thoughts are. Thanks for reading.

Comments (10)