SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berlpat

Possible Rain Garden Site

Kim P.
6 years ago

Hello!

I'm Kim, and I am participant in the Master Rain Garden course through Washtenaw County, Michigan.

I have some photos to share of a possible rain garden site. The back of my house has a roof size approximately 30ft.x28ft., or 840 square feet. Here is the south side of my house, taken while standing in the circle drive:

All the water runs off a single downspout on the northeast corner of the house:

We are in process of building a deck for my wheelchair-bound son, which will wrap around the back side of the house so he can access the driveway himself. You can see the door we installed, the beginnings of the deck, and the downspout at the far left of this photo of the north side of the house:

The downspout is currently pointing uphill slightly, and in a northerly direction.

There is quite a bit of higher elevation property to the north of us, and some runoff from the neighbor's yard runs into the above space.

What I'm thinking of doing is to build a rain garden of enormous proportion (approximately 6ft.x30ft.) along the north or top edge of the driveway. Below is where it would start, and where the re-located downspout would come out, about 10-15 feet from the basement:

The re-located downspout would emerge from under the deck in the vicinity of the purple coneflowers. The cement curb in the foreground circles a few feet further right around the top edge of the drive, and I'd like to continue that curve another 20ft. as the south edge of the rain garden.

Here are a few photos of the erosion that occurs on our circle drive on a fairly regular basis due to the massive runoff from the roof. (It also becomes an 8" deep mud bog for most of the month of March during the snow melt):

And just for some perspective, a view back up the drive towards the house:

Also, it washes straight down the drive from the house to the road, and has eroded the drive and the road at the bottom:

OK, I feel a little overwhelmed right now at the size of this project! We've known for a few years that we needed to deal with this problem, but with the impending deck build it needs to be dealt with soon.

If you made it this far and are still reading, thank you! I have given this a lot of thought, but would love to hear some ideas that may simplify the process and keep costs down for my family.

Cheers! :)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus