SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweet_betsy

Two Unknowns

Plant 1 is a volunteer in my wooded acreage. It is 7 inches tall with toothed leaves and

small, dime-sized flowers with five petals, three larger petals, two smaller petals. No discernible scent for flowers or leaves. Growing in North Alabama, Zone 7.

Flower 2 is a variegated passalong plant with deeply dissected leaves. I have not seen any flowers but I have seen evidence that it will spread by runners. The tallest stalk on this plant is 12 inches and there is no discernible scent.

Thank you for looking.

Comments (14)

• carol23_gw
    6 years ago

Any chance of a better photo of the white flowers? It's difficult coming up with a plant family without sharper images.

sweet_betsy No AL Z7 thanked carol23_gw
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will try for a better photo of the bloom tomorrow. After looking, I think it may be a form of hydrangea arborescens.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are better photos.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

I don't think flower one is a hydrangea, but I don't know what it is.

sweet_betsy No AL Z7 thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • carol23_gw
    6 years ago

I am puzzled, too. The leaves are also not a match for Hydrangea arborescens.

There has to be an answer........ It has opposite leaves. Is it definitely woody?

H. arborescens below that popped up in my garden and was cut to the ground in late spring.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is very small but the stem does appear to be woody.

• carol23_gw
    6 years ago

Bringing this back up for more views, possible identification of your mystery plant.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    6 years ago

This white flower has me puzzled as well. You would think something with such unusual petals would be more widely known.

sweet_betsy No AL Z7 thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • macranthos
    6 years ago

Agreed. I feel like I should know this if it were some native or ornamental plant which leads me to think that it's either got malformed flowers or it's it's some odd tropical that I've never heard of... either way I'm stumped.

sweet_betsy No AL Z7 thanked macranthos
  • tofi tropic (Sumatera Indonesia)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The peripheral sterile flower, and central petal-less fertile-bud like flower have the hydrangea or viburnum characteristics. This reminds me to Viburnum plicatum although stature and leaves bit different, but growing condition could affect this one..I guess

Viburnum plicatum 'Summer Snowflake'

or it could also be something else

sweet_betsy No AL Z7 thanked tofi tropic (Sumatera Indonesia)
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tofi, I think that you have hit on the right identity. I have a double-file viburnum in another part of my garden. Comparing the leaves of these two, they look almost identical. Thank you kindly.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oh Tofi,I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me. Viburnum,who would have thought? How brillant! What was also thowing me off was that it seemed shrub-like,but was blooming at such a small size. This is great news. It all makes sense now what the smaller flowers were. I'm amazed also that Viburnum never crossed my mind and a lot of others.

• tofi tropic (Sumatera Indonesia)
    6 years ago

Glad, if i could join in any help. I saw them when I was living abroad, but now get back to my home country. Will be miss to watch those non tropical flower in person again, with all their changes along the seasons,... Here it is ever summer... but this forum keeps us with the connection and great memories...