SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

How do I trim around these doors to clad gaps?

ontariomom
6 years ago

Hi window and door experts. Please help us figure out how to cover or trim around these gaps on either side of the double doors. We have to get the cladding inspected very soon as the City is putting pressure on us to close the building permit.

I have also posted this to the building a home forum as well, but how to cover the gaps is still up in the air from their comments. I do like the double doors and they are new (a bit dusty due to contruction). We purposely chose a double door vs a single door, but the fit was tight. To confound matters, the door opening was a bit off centre from the framers, so the door trim on the right side is more covered from the board and batten siding vs the left. Anyway, any thoughts on how to trim the doors to cover the gaps? Mark on the builidng a home forum suggested removing the mahagony door trim and then putting a different trim perpendicular to the door. If we go with that thought, what style of trim should we get that can be installed perpendicular to the door plane? We thought of just getting some more mahogony trim and placing it over the gaps -- but what kind of trim (quarter round or is there some sort of inside corner piece?).

Here are the pics of door and gap;

Gaps (first two are left side of door, and the third is the right side of door)

Here is the whole house. Since photo was taken, we have added coach lights, and still need to add the glass balcony railing over garage.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals