SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mech8t7

What would you do? Counter guys cut around the door trim

mech8t7
15 years ago

We just moved into our recently renovated home and I noticed that the installers of our quartz countertops put a notch near the right side of the back edge of the counter to have it fit around the backband and casement trim for the pocket door between the kitchen and the dining room.

I didn't notice it a first because they were pretty careful to follow the contour of the door trim and I'm sure you won't really notice it once you caulk the gap, but I can't figure out for the life of me why the installer would chose to cut into our expensive countertops for the sake of having it fit around a few dollars worth of door trim. I think it happened because the door trim guys had installed the trim before the countertops were put in. Our GC acknowledges that this is not how he would have instructed them to do it if asked but he clearly thinks that we are making a big deal out of what should not really be an issue from a practical perspective. I should mention that this cut was done on a section of the countertop that is only 18-20 inches long because it has a rangetop on left side and borders the doorway on the right side.

By contrast, one of the bathrooms has a quartz countertop that meets the door trim. In that case, the trim was installed after the countertops and the door trim was notched to accomodate the countertop (rather than the other way around).

I want to ask the GC to replace the offending section of the kitchen countertop. What do others think?

Comments (7)