SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thatcopywriter

How to tell if old macrophylla is a reblooming variety

Diana Phillips
6 years ago

Is there any reliable way to tell if a mophead is a reblooming variety or an older, one-timer? Back in mid-May, I "rescued" a huge neglected shrub about 4.5 feet tall x 5.5 feet wide from a friend's property. She'd recently moved there and had no idea what type of hydrangea it was (but wanted it gone to put in other plants). Took two of us to shovel it out with as big a rootball as possible and transport it by pick-up truck. I wasn't very optimistic given the time of year but it was worth a shot. The shrub was covered in new buds and leaves plus tons of old flowers from last year.
I knew I should've pruned it hard and sacrificed the this season's flowering to give the roots a good start, but couldn't bear to cut off the buds. So I did a light prune of the old dead canes, babied it and have been rewarded with a decent display of bright blue blooms (now turning greenish/pink) and the shrub seems to be holding it's own. I assumed it was an older variety because the house is so old and the plant looked like it had been there for ages - but I got a couple of late blooming stems after pruning off a broken cane last month so am wondering if could be a rebloomer. My Endless Summers which are three years in the ground are still puny (though I know they can get bigger) and the flowers are a lighter baby blue than this one. Any input appreciated!

Comments (5)