SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricardo_parra49

Growing my living room, how to deal with the floor and the transition?

Ricardo Parra
6 years ago

Hi,

first off, some introduction, my name is Ricardo and I own a 1,000 sq. ft. flat in Santiago, Chile. I have done always my remodelations myself, during my time living in Germany too. I'm very good with tools and it is a hobby I ultimately enjoy a lot.

When I got my flat almost 10 years ago, I remodeled the living room (ca. 350 sq.ft.), which included some fine stone tiles. A local company dedicated to sell these things for large luxury homes had them on clearance, and I bought them right away (no chance to get additional tiles).

Now I want to replace the window that separate the living room with the balcony, and since I'm not a big user of the balcony, I'm thinking about putting the new window 3 feet further out, this will help me a lot with the layout of the living room. The only problem is that I don't know how to fill the 13x3 feet stripe between the stone tiles I had put 10 years ago and the window on the new location. Right now I'm opening the kitchen and it already looks a bit weird the transition from the tiles in the living room area (matt grayish) to the kitchen (TBD, but high contrast anyway), if I put another color where the new window is gonna be, it's gonna look like a mosaic from the perspective of anyone entering my flat. My choices right now are (in order of preference):

1) wood, I can easily obtain used wood tiles from older colonial houses. They are usually pretty good (patagonian cypress or red oak), and recovering should be easy.

2) a decorative mosaic, more work, but perhaps, choosing the right palette, I can manage to make the transition look more organic.

3) another tile color to achieve a high contrast

4) tile, similar to the existing, and cover it with a carpet

5) since it is a sliding window/door, put a metallic grill like those they put for people to remove their shoes in mountain shelters....

Since you guys have much more experience dealing with similar dilemmas, I was wondering if I could get some feedback. Changing the whole floor for that small strip is a no-go. When I move the window, I will change the wallpaper of the entire room, so take into the consideration that anything else but the floor will look very streamlined after moving the window.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice. I will try to put some pictures if I clear up the area.

Ricardo

Comments (7)