SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Kitchen tile installation isn't great, what should I do?

uscpsycho
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I had 24"x24" tile installed in the kitchen which hasn't been grouted yet but from the looks of things it isn't a great job. There is a lot of lippage and the grout lines are not consistent.

When I say there is a lot of lippage, I don't mean that the lippage is extreme. It's not heavy lippage it's just that there is a lot of lippage in general. And the 1/16" grout lines do not look all the consistent. Tile installer used 1/16" spacers but did not us any kind of lippage system.

The tile is beige so I know that without grout the black gaps between the tiles are accentuated because of the contrast. I will be using grout to match the tile as closely as possible which will soften the imperfections. But I happened upon this tile contractor's work in a retail store -- 12"x24" beige tile with matching grout -- and the way it looks is how I fear mine will turn out.

The thing is, I don't know if this is only bothering me because I'm so dialed in to the details while I'm remodeling. Or if it's a bad job that will be noticeable to others. And I wonder if it will be that noticeable after the room is furnished (it is empty right now). I know that the store owner I was referring to is not happy with the way his job turned out. But like me, perhaps he is also obsessing because it is personal to him.

Should I just have the tile grouted and live with it or tear the whole thing out and start over? Tearing the whole thing out is going to be a giant mess with a ton of waste to dispose of. The original floor was not level and had a lot of issues so I imagine the float will get mangled up in demo and have to be done again, is that so?

Before remodeling I don't think I ever EVER would have noticed or cared about what someone's grout lines looked like. But now I notice everything and everything matters because it's my house and my money. If it is not ideal am I going to be upset for as long as I live here or will I get over it?

tldr; At what point do you make a tile guy tear out the tile and start from scratch? How bad does it have to be to make it worth the headache? What's the litmus test?

Comments (22)