SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick7072

Does deadheading necessarily strengthen a plant's root system?

Rick (zone 6b, MA)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A question about deadheading on the Annuals forum inspired me to wonder about something regarding perennials. We deadhead the spent blooms of perennials for two different reasons: to redirect the plant's energy away from producing seeds and towards the production of more flowers; and two, to redirect the energy away from producing seeds and towards building up the plant's root system. I think we've learned that with some species deadheading doesn't always encourage the plants to produce more blooms, even when done at the correct time. But my question is this: does deadheading necessarily always work to help plants produce a stronger root system as well?

If I were a plant physiologist, it would be interesting to devise a study to investigate what happens energetically-chemically once a plant is deadheaded. How much energy does the plant put into producing new flowers versus energy put into strengthening and augmenting the root system? I imagine the answer varies depending on the species and the time of year.

Comments (4)