SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6215195

Bath tile: large format porcelain vs. engineered quartz slabs?

User
6 years ago

Hi, My contractor needs tile decisions yesterday. I am looking for a large format tile or porcelain slabs or quartz slabs that truly look like Calacatta. They go behind the master vanity and in the shower. But I cannot find thin quartz or porcelain wall slabs that are not made in China. Anybody? Daltile Quartz One Calacatta looks okay but not sure if its made in China or does anyone have experience? MSI STILE porcelain Carrara slabs are okay too but extremely glass like/reflective with really high glare. I am guessing also made in China? Why won't stores be upfront about country of origin and availability? They will only talk to contractors about pricing and availability. It wastes so much time even if you find a tile you like! I am the designer on my own project and need the info. I have been to Daltile, Ann Sacks, Pental, MSI. I have looked at Domani Bianco (Ann Sacks) honed and Daltile Attaché Calacatta Porcelain but these tiles (large) are heavy and could not work for walls. I have read all the discussion online about searching for an authentic looking marble tile in porcelain or quartz but there appears to be no convincing marble tile not made in Asia. I have read they do not cure their quartz properly and it will crack plus other short cuts. I am finding the fact that tile showrooms will only reveal this information to the contractor makes for a very long and painful journey to find tile. I am utterly stuck!. Has anyone just given up and done cement? Is it ok to use faux marble on the walls and faux stone porcelain on the floor and have it look fantastic? Some how I think not....

Comments (48)