SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a_bear32

Can anyone tell me if this is a specific cultivar of jade?

A Bear
6 years ago

I've never seen another plant in my area with a growth pattern like this and haven't been able to figure out if it's anything in particular. I know it's obviously crassula ovata but I may also be ignorant in thinking it's anything special!

And my "regular" crassula ovata for comparison

Comments (40)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Your mystery plant looks a bit similar to a variety that's been discussed on here a while ago called 'Denethor', but whether it is one of those I'm not certain, maybe another type of Crassula that I'm not familiar with, others will confirm...or deny my initial thought no doubt! In the meantime, try a search for the Denethor threads using the box at the top, check the c/s option and see which threads it pulls up. The Denethor type has striations on its leaves as far as I recall, this one doesn't, but it does have thick leaves?? Some Denethor pics appeared to have just thick regular leaves. Not really sure now!

On looking at your plants, can I ask, have they got pots with drainage holes? The mix looks very dark and peaty, what is it? Crassulas enjoy free draining gritty mixes as opposed to water holding peat based ones.

Are they kept in good light? They can tolerate full sun and will grow better, but they will need to be moved slowly if you are currently keeping them on a table in the middle of a room like the picture implies. A plant as short as the first one shouldn't need chopsticks to support itself, its growth should be strong enough for it to support itself. The second plant is showing signs of etiolation, stretching for good light, not as bad as some we see, but it's there.

Also, pots with bellies wider than their openings present problems when it comes to repotting time. Especially so if it's filled the pot with roots. Sometimes pots need smashing to extract the plants rootball without ripping it to shreds. Best to go with straight sided or regular plant pot shaped containers. Just trying to help:-)

Gill

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I have seen that top Crassula in stores this year, but not by itself. Usually in an arrangement of succulents. So there's never a name. There are no striations on this one. When getting lots of light they turn a real pretty burgundy on the edges. The growth pattern is different to what I normally see on C. ovata. The mystery Crassula grows like mounds on top of mounds. You can't really see that in the Op's post. The leaves are really close together and more circular. Instead of long. C. ovata the leaves point up this one they point down more flat. I have a cutting, but it's probably dead it's been so hot. I will check in the morning. It's 3:43 am here and I can't sleep:(.

• Related Discussions

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It can support itself, I'm redirecting its growth. They both get plenty of light in a locally made soil mix specifically for succulents and jade plants. I obviously don't keep them on a table, they're in a south facing window, and both pots have drainage.

The leaves on the "mystery" plant are also purple/red on the undersides.

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I also thought it looked similar to the "Denethor" version but wasn't entirely sure as the leaves don't have striations but they are thick.

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    6 years ago

Crassula obliqua propella Jade

Richard

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    6 years ago

I have that plant from you, Richard; it got badly burned by the sun a couple of months ago, but is recovering. Ben says this is aka Waves. It's a charming jade. I think the OP's plant does look very like Denethor, as Gill says. The leaves are rounder than on yours. Striations may be slow to appear, and probably depend on good light too.

6 years ago

I picked this one up last week and still has the same label. not saying its correct. it is very sensitive to bright light.

Richard

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago

I appreciate you didn't specifically ask for cultural help, so apologies for trying to point out what I considered important facts. Based in the info and pics you gave, assumptions had to be made, but if you think all is good, no worries :-)

Unfortunately, even specifically made soils for c/s don't always come up to the mark. They need to be amended in some way to give the plants the best possible chance of survival as we find on almost half the posts on here that they're being grown in unsuitable mixes. I consider the mix needs amending to provide better drainage and growing conditions.

Seeing the plants placed on a what appears to be a polished wooden surface and with no saucers underneath, it was a reasonable assumption that they were kept there, and that neither had a drainage hole either...obviously.

I still think that the bellied pot could cause some issues.

Please consider giving us a clue as to where on the globe you are from by adding location info after your user name like most of us do. It just may help us help you, if you want us to. The south window could provide your plants with full on tropical sun year round, we just don't know. Or like for me in the UK, sun that's not as strong and limited to our brief summer.

Gill

6 years ago

hi Gill as to not hijack this tread i'll start another

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    6 years ago

I've seen this variety before, but can't remember its name.

It's not a 'Denethor,' though, of that much I'm sure.

Josh

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As far as I'm concerned all of my jade plants have been thriving this year so I'm not really looking for growing help in that regard, really just looking for an ID. I've asked other forums I've come across to no avail and I'd really like to pin down what it is. Thanks!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago

Someone somewhere will be able to recall it's name so I'm sure there will be a positive ID at some point! What other kinds do you have?

Gill

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gollum, hobbit, minima, variegated, and the two posted above.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

This is my little guy. He looks better than I thought:).

I'm wondering if it's the same as the Op's. Hmmm:)

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Looks more clustered and red than mine but mine isn't/wasn't in the best shape when I picked it up, so who knows?

• niksouthafrica
    6 years ago

A Bear, I think it is a Crassula Multicarva. Not strictly a Jade but very similar

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    6 years ago

Kasra, I wonder if your plant is a crest? I've only learned about these recently on the Facebook group Planet Jade Tree. Maybe someone here will know...

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Crassula multicava has much thinner stems and leaves.

• niksouthafrica
    6 years ago

I've seen them get pretty chunky over time, my neighbour has a few with stems just as thick as those in your picture. The question is: does it have a definite trunk? If so, it is a Jade. If not, one of the other crassulas.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    6 years ago

Kara, your jade is very interesting! I think it's a crest but not 100%. Could we please see a pic of the trunk looking up towards the canopy? Crested trunks often have a funny look to them.

-Nancy

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, definite trunk, and this was sold to me as crassula ovata. And also looking at older crassula multicavas - crassula multicava leaves also look more round than mine are; the largest leaves on my plant are more oval like a generic jade's would be. They're also considerably more thick than what I see on multicavas, no matter the age or size of the plant.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Ya Bear I don't think your is Multicava either. We will get the id one day:),

Here's a bunch of pics of mine. I don't think it's a crest because there isn't that wide base. It's more like mounds of growth on a few short stumpy stems. The new growth coming from the soil surface does look more normal tho. The leaves aren't so bunched together they're more like a C. ovata.

New growth at the base.

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yours is the closest I've seen to mine in all of the searching I've done, it could be that mine is more spindly and not as full because mine had separate stalks in the pot and wasn't in the best shape? Mine does have a similar shade of purple-red on the bottom of the new leaves that looks similar to yours as well.

It also looks like some of the new leaves are actually growing in reddish vs other pairs that are growing in green? (Sorry for the awkward angles, my apartment doesn't have the best lighting).

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

When I saw yours I immediately thought of mine. They definitely look alike. Plus if your plant has been grown inside and mine outside, they will look different. I've never seen this plant before, but at one Home Depot that has a few succulent arrangements with this plant, and then yours. The top growth on yours totally looks like mine. I wonder if it's some new C. ovata hybrid? When I first walked by this plant at HD I thought "What is that Crassula?". That was about 2-3 months ago. Some Crassulas can be hard to find the species, there are so many.

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm in Ontario and I've definitely not seen another one like it, and have gone back to the same nursery to see if they had more - I only picked it up because it reminded me of this plant (something posted on another forum) which I actually think now is portulacaria afra?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

The pic you just posted is a Sedum:).

I just went to that HD a couple days ago and they still had the containers with the mystery Jade in it. There's probably 5 of them. I really don't like those succulent arrangements you can buy because usually I will want just one plant. Not the whole thing;)!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago

Definitely a type of Sedum as Kara says, a prostrate ground cover one. Port a's are sturdy shrubs that grow upright to several feet in height. When they mature they have small pink flowers and short thin dark thorns too, not triangular as in a rose more like a needle shape.

I can totally see why you thought it was one though as they too have those red stems, but in a Port a. they are almost in sections which have clear divisions where the leaves sprout, and the leaves are of a similar shape to this Sedum.

Seems like you 'kind of' have an ID, in as much as it looks just like Kara's plant! As for its particular name...........

Gill

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    6 years ago

Sedum spurium?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

I don't think it is spurium either, leaves are too 'fleshy' and smooth. Maybe a S. tetractinum or spathtulifolium?

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I guess it's just going to be a mystery forever - sad, though, I'd really like to find another one.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Sedum tetractinum 'Coral Reef' for the last one...Josh said he saw plant like yours, hopefully will recall the name.

• Barb in Eastern North Carolina, zone 8
    6 years ago

I have this plant too and have no idea what it is. I had been thinking it is a Crassula ovata that has a problem. But I guess not, since I see others here that look like mine. The new tiny leaves in the center are dark purple on the undersides. My plant is about 6 separate branches, not a common trunk. The pot it is in has a hole and is about 5" tall. I hope for an ID too.

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That description is nearly identical to mine... so we have three examples from California, North Carolina, and Ontario. Huh.

• niksouthafrica
    6 years ago

Doing some trawling of the hybrid listings, I think it is called Crassula Argentea Crosby's Compact. It is a mini Jade

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    6 years ago

Richard, I agree with you that this is your jade; you sent it to me some time ago. There is something odd about this plant; your rooted cutting struggled and finally did not survive, so I re-rooted the top, which was definitely the same as the plants shown here. I asked other people here if they knew anything about this plant and two, I recall, said it was the same as 'Waves' and a jade called, I think, Didier? I'll have to check that if I can find the old messages. To me it did not look like Waves, which was owned by another poster who showed it on the forum more than once. But now, the plant which is growing from the recovered cutting totally resembles Waves. The leaves are long and of a purplish hue - unlike those in all the photos above, but I KNOW it's the same plant.

6 years ago

here are two pictures from 2013

Richard

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    6 years ago

If you put 'Jade 'Didier' ' into the search engine at the top of the forum you will find two relevant discussions about Jade 'Propeller', and this one.

• A Bear
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definitely not crosby's compact, but wasn't it already suggested that these are propeller and the leaves are a totally different shape?

• Filippo Santarossa
    6 years ago

hi any cuttings? very beautiful strain.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor