SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unzumi

IDs, flower stalks, etiolation, and beheading (oh my!)

Jenna (Massachusetts 6a)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This thread has a LOT going on, so I will try to keep it as organized as I can!

I previously asked (http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4591820/echeveria-flower-stalk) if my echeveria was getting a flower stalk and no one was quite sure. Well, I believe it is!

One the one hand, I am pretty excited about it. On the other, this poor guy is severely etiolated. This was a rescue plant from a big box that had been badly frostbitten and over watered. I put it in this plastic pot with 4 other badly damaged echies. I lost one, but the other three survived and so I have four total in this pot.

My mix is a 40/40/20 cactus soil, perlite, and aquarium rock. The pot is plastic and I tend to set it and forget it, only watering when the soil is bone dry.

This echeveria (can anyone ID, please?), I will call him The Big Guy, that is throwing off a stalk is also throwing off some pups:

The leaves themselves are plump and turgid, but you can clearly see it's quite taller than it should be.

My questions for The Big Guy are:

1. I feel like I should behead it, behead the pups, and repot into smaller terracotta once calloused over. I'd like to see it flower, though, so would it be okay to wait?

2. How would I go about removing the pups? I've never done that before.

3. I plan on adding chicken grit to my current mix before I repot these bad boys. I'm thinking maybe 50/50 current mix to grit, thoughts?

Etiolated Case #2:

This poor creature (id please) I think got overshadowed by The Big Guy. I will call him Skinny Me.

I think a good beheading is in order here. Questions:

1. When beheading, do you keep/replant the original stem?

2. I thought having a pot full of multiple plants might look nice but if the light continues to be not so great, would it be better to pot Skinny My in its own small pot? Will it do better on its own when not crowded?

Etiolated Case #3:

At first glance, this one looks pretty good. Good color, thick leaves.

And then you see it has become a palm tree. I'll call him Palm Boy.

Questions on Palm Boy:

1. ID?

2. I've been picking off the dead leaves from the bottom as they shrivel. I checked the soil here and it's still damp (not soaked, but not dry), but why would the leaves shrivel like that? Light? Air flow?

3. It's getting a bonsai-type look... and I almost want to keep that going. Should I? If yes, how? Repot? If not, behead? Discuss.

Etiolated Case #4:

Last, but not lease, Baby Boy.

Here's starting to look a bit like Palm Boy, though on a much smaller scale. Again, leaves are thick and turgid, and only occasionally do I need to pick off one that has dried out.

Questions on Baby Boy:

1. ID?

2. Repot on his own? Behead?

3. Same with Palm Boy, why would the leaves wither if the soil still holds some moisture? Am I missing something obvious?

Thank you SO MUCH for sticking with my little Echie family until the end. From Big Guy, Skinny Me, Palm Boy, and Baby Boy, we thank you in advance for any help and suggestions! :D

Comments (12)