SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thedeterminedbumblebee

Amendments for houseplant soil

Elle
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hey everybody! So I have a similar post to another one before me: I plan to become more serious about soil amendments, but I have zero experience with that, so any opinions on this are much appreciated. (I.e., I LOVE this list [link], but I don't know what's best yet.)

I currently use a loamy mix of Miracle Gro potting soil + vermiculite + perlite for all my plants, except for succulents/tropicals, which get some sand. All of them have really liked this thus far.

Although they respond well to my fertilizers (quarter or half strength Optimara 14-12-14 and Miracle Gro All Purpose for micronutrients), I think they could absolutely use some organic materials. They just look like they need it, and since repotting time is coming up--why not?

What I have on hand:

-bone meal

-worm castings

-the usual soil ingredients (MG potting soil, vermiculite, perlite, sand)

The plants that I have:

-tons of african violets (about 20)

-2 small cacti, and 2 haworthias

-1 asparagus fern

-2 trees: a neanthe bella palm, and a norfolk pine

I plan to only use some worm castings for the violets; they seem to not need much more than that. I also like the idea of coir/compost, but I live in a humid valley, so I'm fine with what I have in terms of moisture. I think those would be asking for trouble.

As for my other non-violet plants, would 1 tablespoon of bone meal, and 1.5 cup of worm castings for 8 gallons be beneficial? Do you recommend other amendments for indoor plants?

Thanks SO much!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths