SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csedlak

CJ's Rain Garden

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Potential site in the back corner of the lot - the blue line shows the edge of the lot. There is a storm sewer drain in the middle of the back yard on the property line (about at the end of the blue line in front of the stick). This site was graded as a swale - the neighbor's property behind slopes down to the swale. the neighbor's property to the left (see next picture) is flat.

I would like to put the garden here to collect the water and provide habitat for wildlife as well as provide some privacy screening (to hide the items the neighbor dumps in his extra lot - pile of dirt). So would like some taller grasses that move in the wind (there is a pretty consistent west wind) and look nice silhouetted in the sun (the back yard faces West). I don't want any tall trees or bushes that would obscure the view of the sunset. Anything planted here will have to survive the winter winds as they are pretty brutal as there is no real wind break on this side of the lot.

The storm sewer drain along the property line

There is a pop up put in by the original landscaper which is fed from four down spouts - 2 from our house and 2 from my neighbor to the left. This would obviously need to be moved. There is currently water in the storm sewer and this part of the back yard is a lot of clay although we haven't had any standing water back there. Fortunately, the sprinkler heads for the back yard are at least 15 feet from the property line/sewer.

Comments (14)