SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
epicurious

Outdoor privacy ideas

Sibarita
6 years ago

We have a lovely home which we bought with a lot of sacrifices. We used to have a perfect view ( a beautiful lake and trees). Until a few months ago. Somebody moved to a house next door and parked their huge (and I mean, HUGE) RV that blocks one-third of our view, light and it's just plain intrusive to our sight. We are sad that we have to sit now and instead of watching a sunset we have to watch that enormous metallic box in front of us. We have approached our neighbor in the most civilized way informing her that our city requires their RV to be at least 10 feet from our fence and even offering to contribute to pay an RV storage but she hasn't been receptive at all telling us that "she can do whatever she wants and we simply will have to put up with that". Even if she moves her RV 10 foot from our fence the sight will still be extremely unpleasant for us. Any "instant" tall privacy ideas? I know we'll sacrifice part of the views of the lake but at least we won't see the RV. I want to say that I have nothing against RVs. I think they are a great way to travel and explore but when it turns into a 12 metallic wall that blocks what used to be a magnificent view then esthetically it can turn into a constant eye sore. Any ideas? I thought about trees but it would take forever to achieve its purpose and our winters are harsh. Thank you.

Comments (81)

• Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Janie, yes that is our fence. The wood and the iron one. As you can see her RV is inches away from it.

When she was remodeling she would place all sort of construction debris against our iron fence and gate and eventually left a pile of large pieces of debris that we could see from our back porch. After a couple of months, I had to politely ask her to please clear that area (I even offered to help her).

A1 plus: When she is inside the RV we have zero privacy. It's like having somebody observing us from a watching tower.

I absolutely love my neighborhood. We felt extremely fortunate when we bought our beautiful MIdcentury house and every day that we woke up to that view we had to pinch ourselves of having such serene surroundings. We opened up one of the walls and added more ceiling to floor windows so could have the views of the lake from pretty much every area of the dining and living room. All the houses around here are just beautifully maintained, yards impeccably manicured and I couldn't ask for better neighbors on the rest of the street: discreet, nice, helpful...I do not like conflict (the world is already full of it!) but I guess it's time, like K Laurence said, to take off the gloves and explore what the city says in regards to what my legal options are.

• hummingalong2
    6 years ago

I would say so! Good luck with your endeavor. Keep us updated.

Sibarita thanked hummingalong2
  • Related Discussions

Privacy fence idea for a second level townhouse deck

Q

Comments (1)
    Can't really speak to the product you envision. if it were me, I would try to find some vegetation in the vine form that would propagate and be hardy. I believe ambiance truly suffers when a "structure" is installed. imo
    ...See More

Need Advice - Tall outdoor privacy plants for shaded area

Q

Comments (2)
    To get something tall enough and dense enough to block that view and thin enough to fit in there may be tough. Especially if you need to block it from various angles. Hard to tell how much space you actually have to work with. This forum is a bit slow, you may want to ask on the Shrub Forum to get more responses. tj
    ...See More

Need Advice - Tall/narrow outdoor privacy plants for shaded area

Q

Comments (5)
    i dont understand where the property line is??? your house is on the right??? .. your porch is elevated??? .. and that is part of the problem??? i am surprised there isnt a city code.. that they cant leave the cans in front of the house ... but that might be starting WW3.. is that boxwood???? would you be removing them ... could you put in a shade screen from that giant square post.. to the house ... outta site.. outta mind?? frankly ... nothing that will grow to the height you want.. will stay as thin as you want... and forcing something to do that thru pruning/training .. would probably take more work.. than the vine you dont want to grow ... soooo ... you have to think outside 'plant' box ... ken
    ...See More

outdoor privacy fence half done

Q

Comments (4)
    It would be best to talk to your neighbors about the many-trunked tree. It looks like there are already stumps nearest the patio. Trunks growing toward the fence or already hitting the fence are going to get bigger. An arborist can identify which trunks can be retained and which should be removed. Maybe some of the skinniest, newest trunks could be trained to lean away from the fence. In the meantime, a flexible canvas could be made and installed by an awning company behind the trees, like a cloth version of the wood privacy panels. It might be good for a few seasons, depending on climate and wind.
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

Seeing the photos, it's worse than you described. I encourage you to take my earlier advice and throw the best lawyer you can find and afford at her. She's already pushing the law by having building materials touch your fence.

Sibarita thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

So trashy!

Sibarita thanked User
  • chloebud
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

epicurious, you have simply got to contact the city first...and asap. Hopefully she's in violation of several things. I showed this to my husband and he can't believe it either. LOL...I wish ALL of us here could be there to knock on her door.

• PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 years ago

I JUST WANT TO SAY, SINCE I READ IT, I AM DYING FOR VERMONT'S MAPLE SYRUP LOL

YES CHLOE, IT MAKES ME WANT TO GO THERE WITH ALL OF YOU, TEAM UP AND PUSH IT INTO THE LAKE

• Renee Terenzio
    6 years ago

Do you have a survey map? Its possible they are not within the required setbacks or possibly on your property. That looks very close. Also very close to pond what are the setback requirements there?

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Bottom line, you need to nail down the legality of it all. I would contact an attorney, perhaps one specializing in Real Estate law, asap.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

@A1 Plus Stone Design, would just love to see that monster RV in the lake! ; -)

Seriously, K Laurence is right. Contact the city first, then possibly an attorney. We have an attorney who specializes in real estate and trusts. They can come in handy!

• lcswilcox195kw
    6 years ago
    Call the city first. It's a free call. If nothing happens, then call the best property attorney you can find.
    Sibarita thanked lcswilcox195kw
  • User
    6 years ago
    I agree to contact the city so if she is in a violation and files for some type of variance to become legal then it wont get rubber stamp approval and you will be notified.
  • Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wonder if all the gods of the Houzz' Olympus have come to my rescue. We woke up to an open view today. The RV is gone! My husband thinks that it's only a matter of days before she brings it back. I hope with my heart that that's not the case but she has been gone for a couple of days before and then returns with the huge metal wall. It was so nice to have breakfast watching our old beautiful view! My husband's piano faces the lake and he was so irritated by the hideaousmobile, like he calls it, that he had stopped playing. While I sit here writing this I can hear the lovely notes coming from his piano. I'll keep you posted!

• PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 years ago

get a couple of cars on craiglist, those cheap used ones, and park them there, lol ! is that a parking lot or her home?she will need somewhere else to park

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    My suggestion is to run for city council and change the laws if they don't exist on the books now.
  • hummingalong2
    6 years ago

Hooray for a momentary reprieve! Since that's your fence line she's invading, I would definitely park something there, so at least she would have to park further back.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

if she comes back with it, it would be most useful to take a set of comparable photos, with and without.

it seems that the intrusion is from the left side of your view, and your best view is to the right?

anyway, bamboos. they will screen the RV and give you privacy back. not 100% of your previous view, but privacy at least.

and yes, you DO get what you pay for, and (sadly) your neighbor is getting what they paid for.

we see so many dilemmas here, of folks railing against what their HOA doesnt allow them to do. upside, a HOA would prevent this mess.

• Diane
    6 years ago
    So sorry you are dealing with this. How is it adults can be so inconsiderate of others especially where the cost to them is nothing, but the rewards is peace and happiness for many
  • Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ninigreat: That is correct. Our best view is from the right side. My question with the bamboo suggestion is what happens in the winter (snow, low temperatures) with the foliage? I would like to have something that can offer that privacy that we want all year long.

In regards to what we paid for...we paid double (6 years ago) of what she paid for her house less that a year ago.

• PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 years ago

the view is the main, TRUE! But... being the best either on the right or the lefts side, what I do think and concerns me is the height of that RV, It just invades your privacy! Yes, bamboo and a nice deck would solve that and you will still have your view on the right side, but, if you don't love that idea, you are not obligated to do it, so your privacy I think is something debatable in court, go to the county, to the agencies, go wherever you need to go.

The neighbor has the right, but I bet your backyard is not her only spot available to park and invade your privacy, she can park somewhere else, or she can do the bamboo, there is a risk though that she can decide to just build a higher fence on her side, then you wont have the RV, but your view will still be lost. Go to court, is my best bet and explore your options.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

the bamboo we had (clumping) stayed green all winter in MA, until a furious cold spell 3 years ago took it out. now we can see our neighbors again. sigh.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

yes to A1 plus' caution, poking a neighbor with a sharp stick (so to speak) *can* result in worse consequences than the current problem. you do not want an even taller fence the length of your property.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

epicurious, I'm holding good thoughts for you the monster is gone for good!

Sibarita thanked chloebud
  • hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    Is the wooden fence in your pictures hers or yours? I'm thinking you said it was yours?
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i just looked at the two photos again. judging by the tree ahead of the rv... thats the same tree to the far left of the view photo... actually the rv could be in the view photo and it wouldnt even be showing other than maybe the front bumper?

now i get you dont want to look at the rv, but its not blocking your view, yes/no? leave the neighbor alone, you'll just start a war. plant something tall, enjoy your view.

• shwshw
    6 years ago

ninigret I noticed the same thing, but have just been watching to see how this plays out. It may be the reason 1.) the requested photo has not been taken and 2.) the OP is so reluctant to go to anyone in authority.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

well, i mean i agree the rv is hideous, which is why the neighbor parked it in the far corner of her property. it just stopped being a 'view' issue for me and became an 'unsightly neighbor' issue. that i am not minimizing.

so, OP has asked for suggestions to screen it, and there have been many useful ones.

• PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 years ago

yup, agree. I do think it can give anxiety to anyone having that rv there, but i dont think it blocks the view, it just distracts your eye from enjoying it, especially when you are mentally and emotionally bothered by it already knowing its there. My main issue is that it really violates the privacy, and THAT is very uncomfortable.

Now, I asked if that is the neighbor's backyard or if it is a parking spot.. it looks like a parking spot in the picture without the RV. If so, just use those spots and tadahhhh.

If hers, use your privacy as your main argument.

• User
    6 years ago

If she has gone for a period can't you get someone to build a screen/high fence to block out the RV while she isn't there? Out of sight, out of mind. Make the screen solid so she can't see into your yard/house at all, then get on with your lives. You have no idea of her background so I would just take the high road. I would continue being nice to her - wave if you see her but otherwise just try to act normal. If she sees that she is upsetting you she will continue doing things to bother you. For some reason people get a kick out of pettiness. You still have your view of the lake to enjoy and with her side obscured you can enjoy it more comfortably. If I had a pool area like yours I would probably have already constructed a privacy screen on that side anyway. You are letting someone insignificant upset your lives in a home you seem to love. If isn't worth the frustration - just block her out psychologically and physically.

Sibarita thanked User
  • Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A1 Plus: The RV is parked in a space that is between her house and my fence. I can't park there. The main issue here it's that she is breaking a bunch of zoning code regulations. I did go to the City and they confirmed that by watching at my pictures and an aerial image that they have of the properties: too close to my fence, parked on top of grass which is not allowed (it needs to be an improved surface like concrete), using the RV for temporary living, etc.

Janelle, in order to build something that is higher than 6 feet I have to get a special permit or allowance from the city. Usually, you can't go higher than 6 feet. Our pool and the yard are already pretty private...only a small private road and the lake are in front of the pool on the rest of the fence....and now her RV. I know that it might sound like something insignificant but for us the views and feeling of privacy was the main determinant when we bought this house and that's why this it' so upsetting. It is extremely intrusive as you can see in the picture. It takes away the whole feeling of nature that we had before, light, trees, etc. Behind the RV you could still see the lake (the exact spot for the sunset). However, from the beginning I was very clear that there is a possibility that she might fix all the code violations that RV might end up staying there...maybe just a couple of feet further from my fence...that is why on my first post was I simply requesting ideas to disguise its presence since the aesthetics of the RV just clash with the surroundings. We love our house and we are determined not to allow these circumstances ruin what we have here and as you say not only blocking the RV physically but psychologically. The City did ask me if I wanted a city authority to visit her in order to have the codes enforced. I am hoping with my heart that is not necessary. I feel that that would ruin any future possibility of living in harmony. In any case...we'll see what happens. Thank you to all of you for your time and your advice.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Hi Epi,

As someone who has been to my city/state's Building Department countless times, I would take numerous pictures, head down there, show them what is going on, and ask for which permit to apply for and how much it would cost, (if it's a fence that you ultimately want.)

I truly recommend you go there, introduce yourself and start "making friends" with the employees, they will give you options and/or point you in the right direction.

Sibarita thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • User
    6 years ago

With regard to taking the city up on the offer to visit her about code enforcement, decide for yourself which is more important, assuming you cannot have both: 1) living in harmony with your neighbor OR 2) having your view back. If it's 1), skip the city's offer and live with the RV. If it's 2), take the city up on their offer. In either case, obviously wait to see if she brings the RV back. It is possible that it's been permanently moved or even sold and won't come back

• Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Quercus2, unfortunately, the RV is back. She has placed her "vintage" iridescent orange-yellow and black Royal Palm Beach sun shades on the front windows of her RV and pink flamingos nearby (we live in The Rocky Mountains so just imagine the sight ...). Anyway, I don't think she has any intention of moving it from there. Every day I wake up with the hope that it's been permanently moved to an RV parking that is 5 minutes away or sold...simply because I do not want conflict with somebody that lives that close. I already have an appointment with somebody in the city next week to talk about what can be done...or not. We'll see!\\

• mramsey
    6 years ago

I would suggest a very high clothesline with a bright orange tarp attached if you have no luck with city hall... living in harmony ain't gonna happen with this one....

Sibarita thanked mramsey
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

skip the tarp! a couple of strings of tibetan prayer flags could provide the distraction you need, and will blur their view out of the rv, too. just add a couple of tall poles to the fence to attach them to.

Sibarita thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

you could mix strings of white lights in there too, would be pretty at night.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

The only way to beat an RV is with a shipping container

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Can you add a roof deck?

• Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I want to clarify that when I talk about the view I refer to what we can see now when we look out and what we used to see. Of course, we can still see part of the lovely lake (we have floor to ceiling windows pretty much around all the sides of the house that face the lake) but we would have to wear blinker hoods at all times not to see the very intrusive and unsightly huge metal box (which in deed blocks the west end of the lake and natural light). It is right there... the first thing you see when you walk to the pool area, or if you sit outside with friends or from our dining room...or the living room. That is, sadly, a big part of what constitutes our view now. I want to figure out with the city next week what are my options. If I have to live with that thing parked in front of our eyes then I will definitely work on some type of design (like the ones that some of you so kindly suggested) to disguise it.

Ryan, somebody else suggested building a roof deck but as I explained, not only it would be a very expensive (and unfair) solution to us but it would only give us a "better" view of the RV and the pink flamingos.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Well from what I gather she is aloud to park her RV on her property. She just has to move it over further from your fence. It isn't going to change anything for your view her moving it over. Personally I would leave it be. I know if I was her and you were bringing in the authority I would plant the biggest pines or maybe something that keeps blowing crap in your pool on my property all up and down along the fence and you would even have less of a view. Face it you are at the mercy of the neighbors since you have no real lake front property.

• User
    6 years ago

It's a big ass ugly rv. Even if it doesn't block the water view it still spoils the view overall.

You are totally justified for being upset.

Sibarita thanked User
  • Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Truey.

• User
    6 years ago

If you put a 500 watt spot light off the front of your house, pointed directly at their house, they might feel compelled to move the beast to where it will block the light, and out of your "viewing area". You would just need to turn the light on every time they try to move the beast back into your view to remind them. ;D

Ideally, it would shine into their bedroom window all night long.

• Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fred...you have the most ingenious ideas!

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

The problem with Fred's idea is that is against 99% of townships code to shine a spotlight on a neighbors property. Then you would be in violation of the codes.

• Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

functionthelook, I think that Fred's ideas are more for comic relief than actual suggestions intended to be applied. At least on me, they are pretty effective.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

I'd build a free standing pergola with shades on the back side to block that bad boy. You can roll them back up when the rv is gone.

Modern Bathroom · More Info

Sibarita thanked suzyq53
  • Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Suzy, love that idea!

• Sally Hindman
    6 years ago

I also have a junk RV (and a few old cars) parked in my neighbors yard right on the property line. It is up a 12-15 ft rise so when sitting at my dining room table the RV looms over us through the windows. I keep the shutters tilted to block the view but still let in light. The RV etc. is the main view from the entire south side of my large screened-in back porch. I bought four three-part folding screens that look great and block the view and the snooping. They are made of outdoor poly linen-look material and black framing (Lowes) Everyone comments on how good they look without knowing the RV is there. My next step would be full-limbed pines or a fence, both of which are potential property line disagreements. Review local codes for either solution. I do not care about the neighbor anymore and agree that friendly conversation has only made it persist. You have my sympathy.

Sibarita thanked Sally Hindman
  • Sibarita
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions, Sally.

• CarrieHund
    6 years ago

Any update?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews