SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

"automatic temperature control"--does that mean no HOT?

Fori
6 years ago

Hi. I confess, I'm not that into laundry. I have a toploader, non HE Maytag of unknown vintage. It came with a house and I'm sure it was purchased in CA but probably before the latest round of water-saving features. (I assume those applied to washers as well as toilets and faucets.) Maybe 2000-2005ish.

I can't find the serial number. (Do they put those on the back? Not convenient!)

Since I don't have the exact model beyond "Maytag Atlantis", I realize this might be a hypothetical question.

It has 4 temp settings: cold/cold, ATC cold/cold, ATC warm/cold, and ATC hot/cold.

Does "ATC" on the hot setting mean I'm getting colder than tap? It seems like it. If so, can it be disabled? My tankless water heater is set for 124F and is about 8 feet of pipes from my washer, but I don't think I'm getting an actual hot wash.

Any suggestions on getting a hotter hot wash would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

If I remember correctly there was an energy star version of this machine produced. This could very well be it.

Fori thanked doreycrouse
  • Fori
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I guess i have to do laundry. Grr!

Yes, this one is energy star.

Any idea what the difference between cold with and without ATC could be? Maybe the ATC warms up really cold water in northern climes?

• Fori
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Apparently I am too short for labels! Model is MAYT754E(or F)WW, right where you told me to look.

I ran it with the thermometer in hand. I didn't get a good reading off the plume but after about 5", the temp in the tub was ~116F. Then it started to cycle by adding cold into the hot fill--very noticeable due to the increased volume of water.

By the end of the fill, with laundry added and only swished around by hand, the water was around 103F at the top. I don't know if it's worth tweaking to get back my 13 or more degrees. It's just annoying since it's so darn close to the water heater.

• lcubed
    6 years ago

can you hook the cold intake directly to the hot source. that could potentially bypass the ATC.

Fori thanked lcubed
  • whirlpool_trainee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I couldn't find the exact manual for your MAVT754EWW, but this one was suggest by Maytag's website. The temps seem close to what you've measured.

Maybe turning the cold valve off will give you a pure hot fill.

Fori thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • Fori
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! If I had thought about this sooner, I could have had my laundry room done with more accessible plumbing...

Is there some sort of thermostat in the thing or is it just guessing?

• whirlpool_trainee
    6 years ago

It's measuring the water temperature as it enters the washer (before it pours into the tub) and then adjusts the valves accordingly.

Fori thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • dadoes
    6 years ago

Try turning off the cold faucet. That may work for a full tap-hot fill IF ATC on hot adds cold to the hot flow vs. shutting off the hot flow completely for the cold.

Fori thanked dadoes
  • Fori
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The cold is blended with the incoming hot so I guess I could do that...after rearranging my machines, of course. :)