SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ron_simmons2

Mortgage company says no to lease to buy

Ron Simmons
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello all, new to this forum and have a dilemma. My wife and I have found a house we would like to purchase and we made an offer to lease to purchase. We have a flip house and we also have our residence and we need to sell one or both of them in order free up cash to buy the new property. The problem is despite offering 25% non-refundable deposit the owners mortgage company (apparently they have a mortgage on it) said no to the lease purchase. Our plan was to give them 25% down and then make monthly rent payments, half to the price of the property and half as rent. My question is how can we get this property? The agreed-upon price is $160,000. We have access to as much as $30,000 or $40,000 down via a home equity line of credit to give the homeowners. I believe we can make their present mortgage payments on the new property but how do we get the mortgage company to go along with this deal or how can we get around them like maybe giving the present owners a $30,000 down payment and then renting the property until March or April which is about 8 or 9 months away. We have just found out that the homeowners are very eager to sell the property as they would like to help their daughter who has gotten into some kind of trouble so I'm trying to figure out a way that we can give them a cash down payment, some if which they can use, and still be able to get in the property for recreational purposes until next spring when we can buy it outright. Can we give them a deposit, make their mortgage payments, and have the closing date that far away? We did look at hard money but that was way to expensive and some of the lenders balked because the property is too rural. Help!

Comments (19)