SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_and_tellu

How to design a North-Facing home?

John & Tellu
6 years ago

This is an open question that we're working through, so I'd be very pleased to hear anyone's thoughts.

We would like to design our future home and lives around our distant views, beautifully sloping backyard, and mature hardwoods. However, all are facing the North... and I mean directly North. Everything we love about the site is facing absolutely, directly to the North. We may be able to get away with angling 5-degrees East or West of true North, but that's really it. We would like our kitchen, family room, master bedroom with balcony (on 2nd floor), and outdoor patio to all be facing to the best views - North.

We're in the upstate of South Carolina and have 10 acres. Living in the South, we thought that North-facing might be a good thing, but I've been hearing a great deal about the benefits of setting up your living spaces to be South-facing.

We will not have a garage attached to the home, but may build a shop 150 ft or so to the Southwest of the homesite, keeping the trees in between. We tentatively plan on having a screened-in area attached to the west or east of the home. The general feel of the home will be contemporary, two-story on a rectangle base with large windows and a steep pitch gable roof. Some may refer to our stylistic preferences as 'modern farmhouse' but my wife is from Scandinavia, so it will have Finnish influences as well.

Any thoughts on how we should proceed with the initial design?

Comments (26)