SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bootsmct

Newbie help for a small north facing dark house with many obstacles.

Boots Mcneil
5 years ago

I have been trying to read up on landscaping and learn from the great post all of you have put up.

To take on my first project I would like to make my place more appealing but would like some feedback and suggestions on changes. The only two things that can't change at the moment are the paint color and the newly planted October Glory maple on the right hand side. (Area is zone 10a if that helps)

There are 3 goals/issues:

Size: The house is short compared to others. Would it be help to remove the shrub on the right hand of the front of the house. (not the hedge) Would removing that give the feeling that the house is taller. Instead of that shrub plant smaller bushes and etc? Or is it the opposite true and you want tall items to hide the shortness of the house?

Color: Cleary its dark paint and the north face doesn't help. Besides trying to brighting up the place with some lighter windows frame colors (that the only paint that can be done) Any suggestions for color of plants, shrubs, etc?

Privacy: Would like a natural touch of privacy for the windows on the left using shrubs or trees. The problem though, is that there is water, gas, and sewer where the arrows are. (In that order from left to right) I may be over cautious but am hesitant to plant anything over there. Maybe something like a Japanese maple in a container even though I don't like containers.

Shape: For the right house side side when I rip out the shrub (not the hedge) I can get a nice curve and remove the straight line. However, how would you shape the left side since its such a small space. How do you curve it with it looking like a half circle since its so small.

Please don't be hesitant to offer any feedback at any level associated with the above or not. I would like to learn as much as possible.

thanks

Comments (14)