SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meghsies

Help with layout of one large room in old craftsman

meghsies
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Once you open the front door in our house, you are greeted by one very large open space with beautiful fir floors and very large 100 year old windows. We need help with how to configure this space to be a welcome area, living area (no TV) and dining space. The walls to the right all have windows, and the walls to the left all have doors to bedrooms- making the space a bit more challenging. We currently don't have any furniture for this space besides two armchairs. There is also a door that opens from the kitchen into the room by the ceiling light, and another door from a bedroom that opens into the room, also by the ceiling light. Any suggestions would be so helpful and much appreciated! This is the view from the kitchen door

This is the view from the right side of the room

The window on the right faces the front porch/ front door area

Comments (27)

• Bunny
    6 years ago

It's beautiful. I love fir floors. Can't wait to see more photos.

meghsies thanked Bunny
  • JustDoIt
    6 years ago

Okay, I did a search of "Craftsman" and "Row House" since they are similar. Here are some layouts that can give you an idea of the possibilities. Wasn't sure what your style is, so here is a mix of casual, modern, formal, etc. Also, can't tell the width of the room.

Click on the link and see other views of the rooms.

Contemporary townhouse centrally situated on one of Hoboken’s finest blocks. · More Info

100 Year Old DC Rowhouse · More Info

The Row House · More Info

Georgian Rowhouse · More Info

Georgian Rowhouse Living Room · More Info

Montlake · More Info

Clairemont Whole House Renovation · More Info

53rd & Drew Ave - Minneapolis Fulton Neighborhood · More Info

meghsies thanked JustDoIt
  • Related Discussions

Help! In a dither re: old lawn mowers, searching for new ones!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Nancy, I am just a home owner with a 1/2 acre lawn. It looks like you have quite a large property that requires, and indeed has quite an investment in machinery. One thing that I found useful is this web-site. http://www.lawnserviceforum.com/index.php They have a discussion area "Commercial Equipment Discussions" that various professionals talk about mowers, tractors etc and the pro's and cons. They have quite a bit of history as well, so you can usually get a good feel of what equipment is good for what type of lawn. Hope this help. Warmest regards, Mike.
    ...See More

large kitchen layout help needed

Q

Comments (9)
    Would definitely think of this more in terms of how to make the whole house work better rather than how to get a bigger kitchen. I do like the kitchen in the middle better than the kitchen in the back location since it keeps it central both the LR and DR and allows for more of an open floor plan where you can be in the kitchen but still have eyes on kids in LR. If you use the back doors of the house often, I'd want a landing space for the junk that comes in or even a dedicated mudroom space. Having my kitchen as a main point of entry into the home is a big part of what prompted a huge renovation for us. I would definitely want pantry space, walk-in or reach-in. As drawn landing space for the fridge is lacking, the baking cart is in the way of what I'd see as the natural prep flow. A second sink would probably be very useful for opening up more functional layout options. The fireplace in the kitchen might work well or might look really random.
    ...See More

Need advice with new living room layout and old furniture

Q

Comments (13)
    @housegal200 - I agree! I love everything about how this house was staged and would have been totally happy buying all their furniture. I wanted to hire a designer/decorator for at least the living room but I couldn't get my husband on-board with that idea and now I'm terrified about how bad this room might potentially look. Unfortunately getting a smaller TV in here is not an option - he is dead set on keeping this TV and making this the family room. There is another room in between the dining room and kitchen that is being used as a formal sitting room but it's not as nice as this room.
    ...See More

Help! Struggling with large living room layout

Q

Comments (3)
    Just treat it like 2 rooms one for the fireplace and one for either nice entertaining or the TV.
    ...See More
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago

great inspiration pics, Finallyhome. I think the space directly in front of the door (where one of the green chairs is) lends itself to a small "entryway" table and wall mounted coat hooks and shoe mat, tucked into that little area before the wall juts out. Adorable green chairs angled in front of the window, with small table between. Smallish couch opposite. Ottoman in the middle. Sideboard/buffet along the back of the couch for serving and storage. Table and chairs in the remaining space. I might tuck a bookshelf/storage unit in the space behind the open door in pic 2 - something like this. Can't wait to see the finished product...

meghsies thanked mnmamax3
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

It's too bad that the bedroom door opens INTO the dining area. I would have to suggest that your table be off center and closer to the window. Which puts it immediately in front of the kitchen door...also the light would need to be moved over the table.

How many people do you need to seat on most days? How many people live here?

I think mnm above had right idea w/ furniture placement. Loved putting a buffet behind the couch if there will be room.

Not knowing the dimensions of the room I think you need to keep your furniture smaller scale. Your focal point, right now, is your front window.

meghsies thanked jansgirl
  • maddie260
    6 years ago

I'm good once I'm in and know the space, but want to say, I love that room. I love your windows, moldings, floor, front door, just about everything! Good luck. I would love to get my hands on it. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

meghsies thanked maddie260
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    6 years ago

Beautiful room! You might get more specific feedback if you post a floor plan (even done by hand w/some rough measurements.) There are so many people here with a great eye!

meghsies thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • meghsies
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all! I'll draw out a floor plan with dimensions and will upload that. For a sense of style, I'm more eclectic but like clean lines and utilizing natural and soft light. I buy most of my furniture from estate sales and either refinish or upholster it. Grandma chic if that's a thing :) I also like to mixing in modern pieces to tie the old and new together. I think we'll definitely need to keep the furniture on the smaller side. Was also thinking about building a window seat/ bench into the window space by the kitchen door, and then placing a table in that area. I've been working on our one small bathroom the past week- here are some photos which I think lend themselves to showing our style. Painted the floor black, installed the shower and curtain rod, will be wallpapering with a cream wallpaper with smaller white flower print, going to build a wooden tray for the tub, wood bath matt and then add a mix of wood and glass wall shelves ( all wood will be light wood). Putting up a simple white shower curtain with tassels to finish it off

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

An unconventional layout that I've seen used in a lot of older Canadian homes it to place the dining table in the front windowed section. Then, you can put your sofa on the long exterior wall. You just have to make sure to leave a relatively clear path from the kitchen to the front of the house.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I love your bathroom! Good work. More pics!!!

meghsies thanked Bunny
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

My favorite style-mixing old and new. Plus really like DIY. Not common on Houzz. Will watch with interest.

• Fori
    6 years ago

How hard would it be to reverse the swing on the bedroom door? It might give more space for where the table must go.

The floor makes it look like there used to be some separation between the dining room and living room. Would it help things any to put it back? I'm thinking one of those half wall/column thingies you often find in craftsmans--this sort of random google image thing:

meghsies thanked Fori
  • smitrovich
    6 years ago

Funny, my current house (1930's bungalow) is the exact same layout. Even the windows and doors are in the same locations. Let me guess, that's your kitchen down at the end? Only difference is that it looks like someone took out the wall between your living room and dining room at some point. This will actually make it a bit trickier to arrange your furniture. How do you plan to use the space? Will you need the combined room to serve as both a living and dining area? Will you watch TV here or is it mostly a sitting area for conversation with guests?

meghsies thanked smitrovich
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

OP included most that info in her first paragraph, smitrovich.

• smitrovich
    6 years ago

jansgirl - Ha! I got sucked in by the pictures.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I think if you are just a couple of people, I would arrange the area in front of the windows (mentioned above) into a multi-purpose space with a dining round table perhaps with drop leaf type look. A drop leaf table can serve as a breakfast table or pull it away from window and viola it is a dining table. So it depends on how many people will be eating at a table every day. Then (I agree this was separated at some time by two small walls, probably as posted above) I would create a seating arrangement with the back of a sofa facing toward the kitchen put off to the side and a little sofa table or buffet as a sofa table behind it facing the little eating area. Then in front of the settee/sofa a small coffee table and a couple of chairs facing the sofa for conversation. On the wall outside the kitchen to the left a interesting bar cart could be placed so when entertaining you have a way to move food items from kitchen to the eating area or perhaps it could be tucked into that little indent just forward from the front door. Loads of interesting eclectic ways this space could be configured and totally enjoyed!! Love it.

meghsies thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Private Residence · More Info
    I love this look. The big pieces in small spaces with bright colors just make a place sing. Notice the ceiling is lowered with paint and a picture molding just like your place. That chandelier is awesome. This is my favorite small eclectic space!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

This could almost feel like a "sitting room" outside the bedroom too. I would put a mirror on the kitchen door and help reflect some light into the room. I can't see the door well, but you might be able to glue on antique mirror squares to create a more interesting effect. Just giving me so many ideas I just know you will have a grand time with this place.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Another option in that space where the wall juts out after the entry, you could find an armoire (French of course) and leave it wood or white wash it and use it as a dry bar or for extra storage for dishes to be near the table. I use French Armoires all over our home and I use them with clients frequently as well. They are the most versatile pieces of furniture ever made. And the French designed them to come apart cleverly so they could be managed up very narrow multi-story staircases of the apartments in Paris and it is so great. They are going at bargain prices these days too since antiques have become passe to the younger buyer. They are gems though. OK, I'll stop now. Those creative juices got the better of me there. Sorry! But too fun!!

• meghsies
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all! I'm still working on the floorplan with dimensions. I removed the glass door to the kitchen as it was taking up both kitchen space and the space into the main room. I purchased some estate sale furniture this weekend so I'll try to arrange it a bit and then upload more pictures.

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

What did you find?!

• meghsies
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I found two wing back chairs, a record player table and an Mid-century modern console table. I tried moving some of the furniture around, but it's been hard to get a sense with so many chairs and not enough tables, side tables, rugs etc....

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

Lighted up the pix some.

Looks like you are raring to go. Good! Hold off a bit on buying until you know what you are looking to buy-what you need!!

So, below is where you plan to have the dining room? Is there another bump out on the other side of the window to build in a bench? I'm not a huge fan of benches/banquettes as they aren't often comfortable and there is the sliding in and out routine. But! I think it would work well here. Put in a table w/ extensions when you need to seat more. Use either of your new chairs-reupholstered-at the head of the table. Add coordinating side chairs.

Put the MCM console on the wall on either of the walls there-to left of kitchen door or left of bedroom door. What is up w/ the door on the right of the console?

Try moving the radio cabinet, w/ a lamp, over as an end table for the chair closest to the wall. (And the outlet!) I think the radio need a bigger piece to set on-the console in the dining room? Is there a back piece on that cabinet?

Or would you consider putting in a smaller sofa and relocating the two green chairs across from it as Flo suggested above. OR! create an L with them,

We haven't heard yet how many people live here, if you entertain and need even more seating. Share with us!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I like the bright green chairs, the wing back, not so much. They tend to take up too much visual and actual physical space. Are you thinking 4 chairs in this space? I wouldn't put a piece like the record player in the space. You need other basics first. But sometimes you find something you love. But you really need a "accurate, floor plan". Can't emphasize that enough. That way you can take it with you to sales, etc., and bring a tape measure and only purchase what works for your space considerations. We can and do "LOVE" a lot of things, but not a bargain if it doesn't work in your space. You have limited and very demanding space here, so caution, let's get the dimensions. I can do some layouts for you and give you proper sizing for furniture. I know this is the ugly part of the job, but believe me it will save you a lot of mistakes and money down the road.

• meghsies
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all! Here are two floor plans- they took a bit longer than expected but hopefully they can help a bit. There are only two of us, but we do entertain a lot and also have family expected to come and stay with us for longer periods of time. The rest of the house is lacking in storage and closet space, and we're trying hard not to clutter up the space we do have while still making it multi-functional. I can remove the wing back chairs, as they are quite large. I would love a front entry space, a sitting/ living space with sofas, chairs, tables etc.. and then a dining space as well with some storage options. The windows are really large and the house is pretty shaded. I've been struggling with how to incorporate furniture without blocking the windows too much as well.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I think you have some great photos in your idea books with small scale settees with low backs. A pair facing each other in the front area would work well. Behind the one sofa a drop leaf table would work for everyday with just one leaf up and when more are visiting the table could be opened up. I will post some ideas. Bbl
  • meghsies
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Flo! I'm going to try to incorporate all the different suggestions and see what I can come up with!