SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielinthelionsden

Choosing a different Oak, Shumard Oak?

Last fall I planned out my landscaping and was going to start a Rock Chestnut Oak from seed acorn. We had drought last summer so I was thinking a shade tolerant drought tolerant tree would be a good choice. However, the seed acorns never sprouted and after observing the soil conditions this spring I'm thinking it was a bad species selection. The soil was so wet I was concerned that I was going to lose the sugar maple I planted in the fall. I'm pretty sure it sustained a little flood damage but it looks like it will survive. That said I'm thinking I need a tree with at least moderate flood tolerance. First I was considering Bur Oak due to it's extreme adaptability, moderate flood tolerance, drought tolerance, shade tolerance, etc. But I've always been interested in Shumard Oak so I'm thinking I'll go with that instead. My biggest concern with Shumard Oak is that there are a number of fast growing trees all around the planting site and Shumard Oak has such low shade tolerance. It's also super large and might be a bit big for the spot. But my goal is a long lived tree to fill in as the shorter lived fast growing trees around it die off, so hopefully it will work out.

I'm looking for thoughts on whether Shumard would be an epic failure or if it would be pretty reasonable to put in this spot.

Here are some pictures of the planting spot:

This is the over overhead map with measurements. The spot in question is the one that says "Oak"

As you look at these photo's the spot with the tall grass is the selected location for the Oak, middle right of this photo. It's where the seed acorns where and I've not yet removed the stakes or started mowing the spot again. On the left is the catalpa, then sugar maple, then persimmon. The bigger tree on the right is Silver Maple.

Here the planting site is in the far left. The bigger tree in the far right as a different Silver maple. The smaller tree beside it is white pine.

In this photo you can see the nasty dead tree on the neighboring property. To the immediate left of it you can see a Silver Maple growing in the middle of a Downy Hawthorn. The maple is in pretty bad health so I'm considering taking it down and leaving just the Hawthorn. That silver maple will probably cause a shade problem for this planting if it stays...I think

Here's a view with the first cage being the red maple, the next being the sugar maple and the oak spot far off in the distance, (in front of that nasty dead tree), (yes the dead tree really bugs me alot).

Same view just a little zoomed in.

Think shumard will do well here? Moderate flooding in the spring (super wet soil for many days, possible 1/2 inch of standing water after heavy rain), potential for drought in the summer. Currently full sun but that may change as the surrounding trees grow. Clay loom soil, neutral ph. Primary goal: shade tree with long life.

Comments (25)