SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lenoreepstein

@?%$# Bugs!!!

My houseplants clearly love being outside, but today I found that at least two are being chewed on, and I have to assume the other plants have been infected. I suspect the ficus has scale, but I can't tell what's eating on the dracaena because I can't see any bugs on it.

I want to use a systemic insecticide/soil drench that would work on both potential culprits. I need something that's sure to be effective on the whole plant, and toxicity isn't an issue while the plants are outside. Manual spraying or bug removal isn't practical now that there are so many leaves.

Thanks!

The Ficus: Each pair of pictures shows the top and bottom of the same leaf. The tiny white spots along the leaf margins are normal. The brownish things are raised, hard, easily scraped off with a fingernail, and are bigger than the spider mites I had last winter but much smaller than the scale on another ficus I had many years ago. The tiny brown thing on the first photo corresponds to the white bump on the bottom of that leaf, and the two insects in the third pic correspond to the two white bumps in the next photo.

The Dracaena: I can't find any bugs, just little drops of clear sticky sap with tiny bubbles in them near the bases of several leaves near the top of the stem. You'll have to enlarge the photos to see them, but that was the best I could do while holding the iPad. The third photo shows the bit of webbing I found on one leaf along with some leaf damage I found on several leaves, but both may be unrelated to the sap. Please ignore the embarrassing white area of sunburn on that leaf.

Comments (12)