SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattybee_gw

Going buggy trying to grow basil indoors!

After many successful years growing basil outdoors in pots, the downy mildew reached my area about a year ago, so there was no longer any point in trying to grow it outdoors. I have very few windows in the house I rent, so I was reluctant to grow them indoors. Also, I had a serious gnat problem from my house plants, so I banished them from the house and lived relatively bug free.

My produce market used to sell large bunches of pesto stems for $2 but now charges $1.50 for a very measly amount of leaves in a ziplock snack bag.

I love basil and am especially fond of basil pesto, so I decided to try to grow it in pots by the light of a kitchen window which gets southwestern sun. The plants didn't exactly flourish, but I kept 4 plants growing. It didn't take long for the gnats to arrive (where do they come from??). I bought a 50 lb bag of sand and covered the soil in the pots with as much sand as could be squeezed in them. This did not deter the gnats at all. I bought a supposed gnat catcher (sm. plastic pot with sweet bait within) which didn't make a dent. Neither did fly catcher strips which hung in the window. I read that bringing outdoor plants indoors at night can make a difference in protecting the basil from the downy mildew, so I am now trying that, leaving the plants in the garage during their evening indoor stay.

If anyone has any tips or tricks on how I can either grow the basil or deter the gnats, I'd welcome them.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County