SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimnpa

UN-TIMELY PASSING OF JIM CLEVER

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

To whom it may concern I wanted to pass along that my husband Jim Clever who I'm sure posted in this group unfortunately passed away on June 18th. Jim is the gentleman on the left in the picture and that's me (Bill) on the right.

Jim had been diagnosed with Glioblastoma Multiform (brain tumor) on May 8th and unfortunately after being diagnosed his health deteriorated very quickly. He was hoping to start chemo and radiation but the tumor progressed to quickly for treatment to start.

Jim Clever February 25, 1952 - June 18, 2017 (65 years young)

Thank You, Bill Funk (Jim's husband of 7 years)

Comments (55)

• 6 years ago

Bill - Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of Jim. Cancer sucks!

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Summer
  • 6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a family member who passed under similar circumstances. Cancer seems to take those we love the most with no remorse. You're in my prayers.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Revised & Ready for further input

Q

Comments (4)
    I don't think of it as quite complete yet I have not addressed the bugs we encounter. So anyone else that wants to see something not present in it please let me know. The final version I will post as FAQ in the sugject heading.
    ...See More

FAQ version 1.0

Q

Comments (15)
    Up, up and not away!
    ...See More

un-wrapping figs

Q

Comments (1)
    hey jim, i'm right below you in Buffalo. do you have a garage or shed? are your figs in pots or in the ground. mine are in pots and in garage unwrapped all winter and i noticed are breaking buds. i think i will bring them out to enjiy the weather a little but if i see the weather gonna hit the 30's (f) i'll put them back in garage.i also have 1 in the ground outside and don't unwrap it till the middle of May, then i prune off any dead material. give me an email iff you want more info kevin
    ...See More

Jim: A Brief Respite from Boredom :-)

Q

Comments (54)
    Wow, 5"+ in diameter! Dinnerplate Camellias, scrumptious! I can't wait to see those Camelias for Jim. It will keep him very un-bored, LOL! It will be like unwrapping a Thanksgiving present (lol!) It's almost November after all. I just love camelias. I don't remember ever seeing a camelia growing in Kansas City. I have read that Camelias prefer acidic soil and our soil is the exact opposite. Very heavy alkaline clay soil. Plus no way camelias can survive our unpredictable fluctuating weather--mild winters and sudden unexpected freezes. Paper whites--when you have your family photos in another thread I will be able to see what you mean by this. You mention bulbs? red marbles? I'm sure I'll understand soon when Christmas rolls around. Ahhh, Christmas what a wonderful time. I am also looking forward to the next cozy family Christmas photos with Grandma Sally. I love Christmas decorations. My Christmas decoration themes are always golds, copper, sage, and very pale-silver greens. Copper is actually my favorite color. Isn't that so strange? Most people say that their favorite color is blue or green or purple even. James snorts at my taste in colors and says that I like "sap" colors, LOL!
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

Heartfelt condolences.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Terry
  • 6 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss. How quickly that unfolded, it must be very difficult. It was kind of you to let us know. Wishing you comfort.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked nickel_kg
  • 6 years ago

My deepest sympathy for you and your family. Losing your loved one is the most painful experience. Thank you for letting everyone know. Please feel free to come here and share with us any time you wish we welcome you. RIP.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • 6 years ago

You have my sympathy, grieving is a difficult journey. Know that he will always be in your heart. May the future bring new love in to your life. So sorry.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Yayagal
  • 6 years ago

My sympathies to you and both families.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • 6 years ago

Such a lovely photo of the two of you! My condolences to you and family.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked irma
  • 6 years ago

So sorry for your loss. I had no idea Jim was ill. Do you know what name he posted under?

• 6 years ago

I'm so sorry! sleeperblues, it appears Jim's husband used Jim's account, and therefore, username, to let us know.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Condolences on the passing of your husband. How are you holding up Bill?

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • 6 years ago

Through my tears I wish you a heartfelt condolences. Thank you so much for letting us know. RIP Jim. All the best to you.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked yeonassky
  • 6 years ago

Bill -- Thank you for notifying us of Jim's death. My sympathy in this great loss. Nothing makes it easier, but I will say that his quick decline spared you both any prolonged and against-the-odds efforts to combat this killer cancer. (It also took my first best friend.)

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked chisue
  • 6 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked caroline94535
  • 6 years ago

You have the condolences of everyone in my house.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • 6 years ago

I'm so very sorry for the quick passing of your husband, Bill. You must be in a state of disbelief still and I so hope you have lots of support from family and friends; please don't hesitate to find a grief group in a bit as many people find that helpful. (I believe the American Cancer Society hosts them.) You are kind to come and post here and I wish you peace.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked sjerin
  • 6 years ago

Please accept my deepest sympathy. So many trite phrases can be offered, but none of them can ease the pain of losing a loved one.

Rusty

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Rusty
  • 6 years ago

I'm so sorry, Bill. That's a beautiful photo. Thank for letting us know, and please don't hesitate to come back anytime.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Alisande
  • 6 years ago

My sincere sympathy to you for your loss.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked lindaohnowga
  • 6 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked cooper8828
  • 6 years ago

I am so sorry for your terrible loss. Jim was way too young to be taken.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Janie
  • 6 years ago

Extending my condolences!

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked glenda_al
  • 6 years ago

Oh dear! So sad. I am very sorry for the loss of your loved one. He will be sadly missed here.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked dedtired
  • 6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Gone way too soon.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked lily316
  • 6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love the photo you posted. The love you two shared really shines through. Feel free to post stories and memories. I would love to read them.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Lindsey_CA
  • 6 years ago

Thank you for letting us know. So sorry Bill, sending a comforting prayer your way.

• 6 years ago

So kind and thoughtful of you to let us know. My sincerest condolences for your loss. A beautiful picture and I'm sure lots of beautiful memories. ((((Bill)))

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Georgysmom
  • 6 years ago

Jim LOVED flowers!! Seems whatever he touched he had success.

Funny story which just unfolded a few weeks ago just a few days after Jim was diagnosed with the brain tumor. Jim said to me do you mind if I order a ''few'' Orchids, I said I had no problem with that I in turn thought since he would be out of work because of receiving chemo and radiation I figured it would be good therapy for him. WELL wouldn't you know that his ''few'' turned into a $1900.00 deduction from our checking account.

He was able to enjoy them for about 1 week before his health declined, I now have approx. 34-40 orchids different sizes, different varieties sitting in our basement under his grow lights with NO knowledge what so ever on how to care for them. I am glad that when we received them Jim did have me set the grow lights up on timers.

• 6 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss of your husband. The photo you posted shows how devoted you were to each other.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked cacocobird
  • 6 years ago

Thank you for letting us know of his passing. I'm so sorry for your loss. He will be missed.

Your orchid story is precious. Loving orchids is akin to loving beauty. I hope you keep them alive in his memory and fully enjoy them.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked nicole___
  • 6 years ago

I'm so sorry.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Kathsgrdn
  • 6 years ago

I'm sad for your loss - cancer has claimed far too many spouses.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked kayjones
  • 6 years ago

Maybe time to find loving homes for some orchids? Benign neglect is usually best, but you might contact an orchid growers group while the plants are still in good condition. I bet someone on these forums could put you in touch with a group near you.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked chisue
  • 6 years ago

Oh Bill, I am so sorry for your loss of Jim. And thank you for posting the beautiful photo of the two of you and for letting us know.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 6 years ago

My condolences to you and your family.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Fun2BHere
  • 6 years ago

So sorry Bill! Cancer is very destructive.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked OklaMoni
  • 6 years ago

Dear Bill,

I am shocked and saddened by this terrible news. So many of us here were the recipients of Jim's generous gifts of special seeds, myself included. He generously send me some aulicum seeds several years ago and although I now only have one or two survivors I will cherish them. I was always a bit jealous of the lovely deep windowsills in your lovely home where he could fit so many of his lovely blooms at one time. This forum is filled with lovely photos that he shared with us over the years and he will be missed by us all.

My condolences to you and your family....

Donna

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • 6 years ago

What a stunning photo of two handsome men. Jim was taken way too soon and I am so very sorry for your loss Bill. My sympathy goes out to you and both of your families. (((Hugs))).

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked debo_2006
  • 6 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss. Condolences to all his friends family and loved ones. What a great pic of the two of you. Thank you for sharing.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked wildchild2x2
  • 6 years ago

How sad and heartbreaking for you. You have my deepest sympathies. Cancer has touched so many of our loved ones. You are in my thoughts

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Cherryfizz
  • 6 years ago

Bill, in regards to your orchids, I'm sure you are aware that there is a lot of information available on the web, when you have time and feel up to it. There is also a forum on the gardening side of Gardenweb. I'm sure the people there would gladly answer questions you will have. A lot can be learned just by browsing through and reading the posts. Also a lot of pictures on the Orchid Gallery forum.

In case you haven't found it yet, or haven't looked for it, here's a link to the Orchid forum:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/orchids

Or, just go back to the Kitchen Table home page, on the upper left there is a link to the gardening side, click that and it will take you to a list of all of the gardening forums.

Thoughts and prayers for you as you navigate through this heart breaking time.

Rusty

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Rusty
  • 6 years ago

What a beautiful photo to have of his memory. I'm so sorry for your loss Bill.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Jasdip
  • 6 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your lifetime love. How fortunate that you had each other. May your memories be of comfort to you,

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked Suzieque
  • 6 years ago

Thank you for letting us know. My best wishes for kind comfort and peace. Handsome couple, and nice to put faces with the names.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • 6 years ago

Dear Bill,

As difficult as it was/is, thank you for letting us know about Jim. He was an active member of the amaryllis/Hippeastrum page for years and years. He was so generous with his knowledge.

I know your heart is broken, but I hope that you find comfort in the generous love that you two shared. Perhaps a little bit of Jim can live on through all those plants!

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
  • 6 years ago

Beautiful picture of the two of you, I'm so sorry that he is gone.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked pekemom
  • 6 years ago

You have my deepest sympathy for your loss. That's a really nice picture of you both, you made a handsome couple.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked mare_wbpa
  • 6 years ago

keep memories of the day that wonderful photo was taken. incredibly obvious the love in your faces!

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked anoriginal
  • 6 years ago

I am just now reading this. I didn't recognize the name and at first I thought it was a celebrity and since I don't keep up with celebrities or movie stars, etc., I didn't realize it was a member of this forum. I am so sorry to read about the passing of your husband. My dad died from a brain tumor and he also went quickly. I wish you peace. You have a great start on an orchid collection....perhaps you will take up the hobby. That is a very handsome picture of you both. Thanks for sharing the photo and telling us about Jim.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked marilyn_c