hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 6 - 30 - 17

User
6 years ago

John Gay Quotes
English - Poet June 30, 1685 - December 4, 1732

Shadow owes its birth to light.
John Gay

Lions, wolves, and vultures don't live together in herds, droves or flocks. Of all animals of prey, man is the only sociable one. Every one of us preys upon his neighbor, and yet we herd together.
John Gay

Follow love and it will flee, flee love and it will follow thee.
John Gay

The brave love mercy, and delight to save.
John Gay

An open foe may prove a curse, but a pretended friend is worse.
John Gay

What then in love can woman do? If we grow fond they shun us. And when we fly them, they pursue: But leave us when they've won us.
John Gay

We only part to meet again.
John Gay

She who has never loved has never lived.
John Gay

Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Involve me and I understand.
John Gay

Cowards are cruel, but the brave love mercy and delight to save.
John Gay

There is no dependence that can be sure but a dependence upon one's self.
John Gay

Those who in quarrels interpose, must often wipe a bloody nose.
John Gay

A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine.
John Gay

Fools may our scorn, not envy, raise. For envy is a kind of praise.
John Gay

O Polly, you might have toyed and kissed, by keeping men off, you keep them on.
John Gay

But his kiss was so sweet, and so closely he pressed, that I languished and pined till I granted the rest.
John Gay

I must have women - there is nothing unbends the mind like them.
John Gay

But money, wife, is the true Fuller's Earth for reputations, there is not a spot or a stain but what it can take out.
John Gay

No retreat. No retreat. They must conquer or die who've no retreat.
John Gay

The comfortable estate of widowhood is the only hope that keeps up a wife's spirits.
John Gay

On the choice of friends, Our good or evil name depends.
John Gay

Emmet Fox Quotes
American - Author June 30, 1886 - August 13, 1951

If you could only love enough, you could be the most powerful person in the world.
Emmet Fox

It makes no difference how deeply seated may be the trouble, how hopeless the outlook how muddled the tangle, how great the mistake. A sufficient realization of love will dissolve it all.
Emmet Fox

As thy days, so shall thy strength be which, in modern language, may be translated as thy thoughts so shall thy life be.
Emmet Fox

You must not under any pretense allow your mind to dwell on any thought that is not positive, constructive, optimistic, kind.
Emmet Fox

It is the food which you furnish to your mind that determines the whole character of your life.
Emmet Fox

Life is a state of consciousness.
Emmet Fox

You must not allow yourself to dwell for a single moment on any kind of negative thought.
Emmet Fox

The art of life is to live in the present moment, and to make that moment as perfect as we can by the realization that we are the instruments and expression of God Himself.
Emmet Fox

Supply yourself with a mental equivalent, and the thing must come to you.
Emmet Fox

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions